Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 7:42:35 PM EDT
I plan on buying a 1911 in the next few months and I plan on reloding my everyday practice ammo.  I was wondering what powder everyone uses.  Im a big fan of winchester and hogedon powders.  I want something nice and clean.  Also about how many rounds can you load w/ a pound of whatever powder you may suggest?  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been having very good success lately with Unique.  Very good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Hodgdon's "Clays" is very clean burning in 45acp even with cast bullets, but Unique is useful in a wider range of loads in that caliber so I have to second that choice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hodgdon's "Clays" is very clean burning in 45acp even with cast bullets, but Unique is useful in a wider range of loads in that caliber so I have to second that choice.

I used clays years ago and found it a super clean powder, very nice.   Lately though I use mostly bullseye or 700x.   Both are very economical 45acp powders.   I primarily shoot 200gr LSWC H&G 68s and occasionally 230gr plated bullets.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to check in the Reloading Forum also.

Over the years I have used Bullseye, Unique, Winchester Ball powder, Clays and Universal Clays in my .45 ACP loads - all with good success.  There are many good powders for the cartidge.  Lately I have standardized on Clays and Universal Clays because I can use them for double duty in my shotshell loading for trap shooting.  For target loads I prefer Clays - it burns very clean and seems (to me at least) to recoil lighter than some of the other powders listed above.  I use the Universal for  full power loads with 230 gr. FMJ or HP bullets.  Unique is also a very versatile powder.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll also make a quick plug for the lee factory crimp die when loading 45acp.   It will eliminate most functioning issues from oversized cases.    USE IT.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll also make a quick plug for the lee factory crimp die when loading 45acp.   It will eliminate most functioning issues from oversized cases.    USE IT.

+1 to the above.  I use Bullseye in my .45's.  4.5 gr. Bullseye, Winchester primer, Winchester 230 gr. FMJ, and whatever cases I have lying around.  My 1911 loves this load, my Sig 220 is alright with it, but it's nothing special.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright, sounds like Ill try some Clays, and Winchester for everything else.  Use their components for lots of loads and have never been dissapointed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Working on a load with Hodgdon Titegroup.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Currently useing 5.0  gr of Bullseye and a 230 gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, here's my 2 cents! I've been shooting WW 231 @ 7gr with a 185 jhp at bowling pins with great success (1000 rnds per pound of powder). Also use WW231 with a 200gr lswc #68 bullet @ 5.6, and for plinking 4.2 of the WW231. I've also used the other powders mentioned here, they work well, but I found WW231 and Tite Group meter very well. The Tite Group load (I'm still experimenting) is 6.0 - 6.5 with the 185 jhp (it's VERY clean).  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been reloading 45ACP for over  a month,. I am using accurate powder number 5. This ia a good all purpose powder. I can use it with 9mm, 40s&w, 357 sig, and 45acp.  Also it is clean burning.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I use 4.8 grains of bullseye. I love it!!
5.0 grains of bullseye duplicates the standard USGI load.
I also use it in .38 special and .357 magnum loads as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I have loaded thousands of rounds with Universal and been very happy, but lately, I find I'm reaching for the jug of Titegroup more and more. It's good stuff. I also use Red Dot and Blue Dot, but they're a pain in the ass to meter for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to the above.  I use Bullseye in my .45's.  4.5 gr. Bullseye, Winchester primer, Winchester 230 gr. FMJ, and whatever cases I have lying around.  My 1911 loves this load, my Sig 220 is alright with it, but it's nothing special.  MJD

Another +1.  I changed a couple months ago to the Lee FCD.  I had an extremely tight match chamber on a Sig GSR and it solved the problem, quite well.

I use Winchester 231.  For any powder, it is 7000 grains to the pound, so do the math to figure how many rounds per pound.  It is better to just pick one and buy an 8lb keg so you will have the greatest savings.  Grafs seems to be very good for shipping costs and a single hazmat fee for a huge amount of stuff.  They will ship powder and primer on the same hazmat fee.

I have been reloading for years, and even lived in the same town as Graf and Sons, but recently discovered their great deals.  Same thing for the Lee dies, don't keep these things secrets, guys.

Another secret is that a Glock 21 will not set off a Winchester large pistol primer, consistently.  Hell, I was even starting to have probles with the Sig220 and the Kimber.  I am switching to Federal primers, which I have already tested in the Glock.  Winchester has had hard primer problems for years, and I am tired of dealing with them.  They are too hard to contact to discuss poor quality problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...Another secret is that a Glock 21 will not set off a Winchester large pistol primer, consistently.  Hell, I was even starting to have probles with the Sig220 and the Kimber.  I am switching to Federal primers, which I have already tested in the Glock.  Winchester has had hard primer problems for years, and I am tired of dealing with them.  They are too hard to contact to discuss poor quality problems.

Now that is odd.  I've never had a problem with my Springfield 1911 or Sig 220 failing to ignite a single primer.  Maybe you just got some from a bad lot?  Also, how deep are you seating them?  I try to get them about .004", that seems to work just fine.  MJD  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Working on a load with Hodgdon Titegroup.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Currently useing 5.0  gr of Bullseye and a 230 gr FMJ.

I settled on 4.4 gr of Titegroup with a 230 gr FMJ for my USP.  Comfortable recoil, great accuracy and it's clean.  Titegroup meters like a dream in my Dillon 550.  

If you do the math, I am getting around 1,590 rounds per pound.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
4.3 gr. titegroup with a 230 cast bullet
725 fps in my full size 1911
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I settled on 4.4 gr of Titegroup with a 230 gr FMJ for my USP.  Comfortable recoil, great accuracy and it's clean.  Titegroup meters like a dream in my Dillon 550.  

If you do the math, I am getting around 1,590 rounds per pound.

Very similar to my loading. Very economical, too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#18]
www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage_handgun.asp?CaliberID=17

A guy I bumped into at the range today said he has been shooting 5 grains of Bullseye for 20+ years, but he didn't say what bullet he was pushing.  

Quoted:
Another secret is that a Glock 21 will not set off a Winchester large pistol primer, consistently.  Hell, I was even starting to have probles with the Sig220 and the Kimber.  I am switching to Federal primers, which I have already tested in the Glock.  Winchester has had hard primer problems for years, and I am tired of dealing with them.  They are too hard to contact to discuss poor quality problems.

I had some issues like this a while back.  Some of the rounds were factory Remington UMC loads, and the rest were reloads using Winchester primers.  I was shooting a GLOCK 20.  I later upgraded to a extra power firing pin spring, and I haven't had that happen again as of yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]
230gr RNL slugs cast in my magna caster on top of ( don't quote me! ) 5.1gr WW231 using Win primers.

BTW that is a MAX +p type load which often splits cases - but its what I use for SMG food as I want to Be Sure that there is plenty of recoil to prevent a short stroking run away!

YMMV

BTW - Could never afford F/A if I didn't roll my own rounds.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the input guys, I believe ill start off w/ some 231(got a 20+ year old can thats still good and needs to be used) and order some cast bullets.  I would pour my own, got the setup and all, but dont have THAT much time.  Plus I lube the old fashioned way, case w/ a hole in the top for a dowel rod, and a cast iron pan full of melted lube.  Put the bullets in, let it get hard but not cool, use the case to cut em out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage_handgun.asp?CaliberID=17

A guy I bumped into at the range today said he has been shooting 5 grains of Bullseye for 20+ years, but he didn't say what bullet he was pushing.  

Quoted:

I had some issues like this a while back.  Some of the rounds were factory Remington UMC loads, and the rest were reloads using Winchester primers.  I was shooting a GLOCK 20.  I later upgraded to a extra power firing pin spring, and I haven't had that happen again as of yet.

Yup, I had Glockmeister install a heavier spring for me and inspect my 21.  Many times I would have a primer strike and a second or third hit was necessary to set off the rounds.  No, it was not confined to one lot, but was many lots.  This occurred with silver colored and brass colored primers, white and blue boxes.  In the SASS world, this has been a known issue and I am tired of the Winchester poor quality.  I don't want to debate it, I just send my money to someone who has a more consistent product.  I seat them flush.  I use a Dillon 650, and there isn't any other way to do it.  

What I can't understand is that the Winchester White box Wallyworld rounds function 100%.  Do they use different primers in their factory loads than what they sell in bulk?????

/end of hijack.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I never tell anyone what to load... That is personal.   I load 5 gr. of Winchester 231  under a 230 gr. lead round nose.  The book says it is makes 870 fps.  psi is 19800.
Military 230 FMJ is 1.270 COL or so.....  I load a little short 1.245. COL. (psi my be a little higher) My 1911 Colt likes it.  My Para likes it as well.    I use a 550 upgraded by Dillon.  Have two.... One is set up for large primes/ the other is set for small primes.  
As for Unique powder.  Used it for years.  Good starter powder. Hard to double charge!!! Vary save!!! Think about it!!!

Good Luck!!!!  PITA45
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
wildearp,
I'm going to switch to CCI primers for a while and judge the difference from Winchester's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#24]
4.1 gr Clays (not universal, just clays)
200 gr Ranier SWC
Win primers
This load is right at 900 fps out of my Kimber Custom II, its very clean and soft shooting. After about 5000 rounds of Lead SWC's I got sick of cleaning lead out of the barrel and switched to the Raniers.
I tried CCI, but they seem to be slightly larger and don't seat as smooth. Federal primers seat and work great but I read about to many KBs with dillon presses over at Brian Enos's forums.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
4.1 gr Clays (not universal, just clays)
200 gr Ranier SWC
Win primers
This load is right at 900 fps out of my Kimber Custom II, its very clean and soft shooting. After about 5000 rounds of Lead SWC's I got sick of cleaning lead out of the barrel and switched to the Raniers.
I tried CCI, but they seem to be slightly larger and don't seat as smooth. Federal primers seat and work great but I read about to many KBs with dillon presses over at Brian Enos's forums.

KB's while loading or while shooting?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top