Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 10:44:52 PM EDT
I have a Beretta 21A bobcat.  It's a 7 shot 22 long rifle pocket gun.  What's the best thing to feed it?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I use CCI Velocitor w/ speergold dot hp's. I don't carry a 22, I carry a 45 but I do have defensive loads for all my firearms. You should carry a bigger caliber but 7rds of 22 in the face is better than a punch and kick to the head. Those cci's have never jammed or failed to fire(unlike all the federal 550pk I buy),  and good luck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a Beretta 21A bobcat.  It's a 7 shot 22 long rifle pocket gun.  What's the best thing to feed it?

thanks

CCI Stingers feed and group well in my Beretta 21a.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]

What the best .22 LR for self defense?

That's kind of like asking "Which is the smartest Stooge?"
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The American 180 of course.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]
No, it was Larry.

Seriously, thanks guys.  No it will not be my primary.  The sig 239 that I'm buying from combatvet will be.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#6]
You are looking for a Jennings...probably the finest CCW .22 going. I love mine....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Just be sure to file down any rough edges on the front sight. After the bad guy gets mad and shoves it up your butt it won't hurt when they remove it.

On yea
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#8]
If a .22LR was all I had, I would use the highest velocity, non-expanding FMJ ammo I could find for maximum penetration, and empty the whole mag into the target, reload and empty the next whole mag into the target until I was out of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#9]
tHE BEST .22 for self defense is the round that hits the BG between the eyes or down the mouth.... Not that I'd volunteer to get shot with one in the chest or legs....but chances are with the adrenaline rush (or drugs) the bad guy is on, he might not even noticed you actually hit him until after he's finished you off and noticed blood on his shirt or pants.

That said, it all depends on your aim. Better to actually hit someone with a .22 than totally miss with a .45 but just remember...if the .22 can't be relied on to stop a rabid dog in its tracks, it won't stop a rabid man.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use CCI Velocitor w/ speergold dot hp's. I don't carry a 22, I carry a 45 but I do have defensive loads for all my firearms. You should carry a bigger caliber but 7rds of 22 in the face is better than a punch and kick to the head. Those cci's have never jammed or failed to fire(unlike all the federal 550pk I buy),  and good luck.

I like Velocitor too.  Velocitor is the fastest 40gr bullet right now.  I had the same problem with feeding Federal 550pk till I polished the chamber a little.  It feeds everything now.

Shok
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The Best 22LR for self defence without ANY doubt is a J Norell Full Auto Ruger 10/22 with a 25-rd mag that works properly with any load that will make it work great.  Center mass and don't let go of the trigger for about 2-seconds  

Sell that gun and get a real gun if you are using it for self defence as you may piss somebody off with it!  I don't like anything smaller then a 380 and personally I wouldn't own anything smaller then a 9mm to save my ass...

Then again, I carry a 45 ACP Glock 30 with a 10-rd mag in the gun with a 13-rd reload mag...  Hoefully in a gun fight you find someone else walking around with a Jennings 22LR as odds are in your favor in that fight...  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I reread the title...  next to my reply above... the next best 22LR for self defense is when your opponent is armed with a 22LR and you have a 45 ACP!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My 21A does't like the velocitor rounds but feeds Mini-Mags and Stingers with no malfunctions.  I think feeding is going to be your biggest issue, and since .22 is pretty inexpensive, try several boxes of several brands/types and find what feeds best.  A lot of the velocity is going to be lost with the short barrel so most of the "high velocity" rounds are about equal in that respect.

You may also try shooting several of the loads in low light as a lot of the powder gets burned outside of the barrel.  Stingers make a pretty bright white flash.  This could cause an attacker to think he is being shot at with a larger caliber weapon, but it also may hamper your vision.   Things to consider.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd go woth Sniper Sub Sonics by Aguila.  60 grain bullet carries a thump for a .22
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Any brick of .22......Then just throw it at'em.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I know people will stoogehThis is not a smart aleck answerhollowThere are a lot of 22 rounds out there.....  Try them all till you fine what feeds reliable and is accurate ALL the time.   This is not easy with a 22 round.  You at lease have a quality firearm... that is half of the equation.

If anyone kids you again,  Tell them.... HED  That was why I bought one many years ago.    

Hope This Helps!!!   PITA45
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe that CCI has everyone beat for reliability.
Velociter has the fastest 40 gr bullet
Stinger is the fastest with the most energy on paper but the bullet is less than 40 gr (32? 34?)
Mini mag is the standard high velocity round availible in 40gr solid or 40 gr HP.
The accuracy will vary some but out of a short pistol at the ranges you might have to use it at the above four rounds are going to be darn near the same.
The thing you have to do is grab all your mags and head to the range and test fire for reliability. Bring your cleaning gear and keep the gun and mags fairly clean as hopefully that is the way you will cary it.
I would use the velociter if it runs well,stinger next and the mini mag solid. In a low power round there is the line of thinking that a solid is likely to penetrate more and cause more damage,out of a short pistol no rimfire isn't going to expand much .Save your pennys,there are several pocket pistols in 380 or 9 that are only several ounces and slight fractions of an inch bigger than the rimfire pocket pistols.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like Velocitor too.  Velocitor is the fastest 40gr bullet right now.  I had the same problem with feeding Federal 550pk till I polished the chamber a little.  It feeds everything now.

Shok

my 22's feed everything, it's the fact federal doesn't put the primer material in every case
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:21:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Some chrono info.

NAA revolver 1 5/8" barrel (I went for the long barrel version for extra velocity!)

CCI Long Rifle – 716 fps

CCI Mini Mag (LR) – 737 fps

CDI Stinger – 1078 fps
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Winchester 40 grain Power Point Plus
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The best .22 defense ammo is the one that is most reliable in your weapon.

The one that goes at least 200 rounds plus without a hiccup and is combat accurate.

Due to the internal ricochet effect of the .22 when it enters the body (it bounces around inside the body like a marble in a tin can), I would prefer it over .25 or .32.

I've shot at a lot of things with .22LR (both inanimate and animate objects) and it's not quite as weak as instinct would tell you.

.22 short is pretty weak.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Winchester 40 grain Power Point Plus

+1
Really good thumper for .22
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
how about cci stingers and fill each hollow cavity of the bullet with rattler/cobra juice and seal it off with a dab of wax.  then in any case if you had to shoot a bg with the .22 and you didn't get em' on the spot and he successfully kills you or gets away, soon he'll  fully realize that he's on the way to meet his maker because not only he's been nailed with a .22lr but the .22's got death written all over it.

go with either velociters/stingers or mini mags.......no other brand really comes close to being able to have the best priming .22lr since it's aways a good idea to have a .22lr that goes bang everytime it's chambered
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:11:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Like said previously, the best round is one that feeds and works every time.  I do not know if an HP would limit penetration too much in a person, but I would think that most .22HPs are made with squirrel sized targets in mind.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

CCI Stingers feed and group well in my Beretta 21a.

Bushman, I read an article one time that the stingers are not as well off in a pistol because it is a slower burning powder.  This article suggested that the stinger did not have time to build enough pressure up in a pistol and lost a lot of its velocity and with this loss in velocity you are better off with a regular 40 grain .22 round  going a bit slower.......

Bushman you make an excellent point though "Feed and Group Well"

Most people want a hot load for their weapon, but I believe that hitting with a .22 is better than missing with a .50BMG.

Just FYI.  I like stingers too, but I just use the .40 grain remington copper plated hollow points "cheap stuff' but I shoot a ton of .22 rounds though my Ruger 22/45.  And my 22/45 is the between the seats gun in my pickup.  I carry a baby Glock .40 concealed.  The 22/45 is my stray dog, skunk, critters on the way home gun.

One more thing, someone mentioned it above.  The .22 bounces around in the body....Sadly to say a friend of mine died when he was only 24 yrs old.  He dropped his .22 pistol and it went off hitting him in the lower calf area going upward.  The .22 went up his leg and into his torso then stopped in his aorta(sp?) The bullet bounced off his upper femer and caused the path to his torso.  I am not sure what type of ammo it was or even what pistol it was, it has been close to 20 yrs ago and I was too young to care about all that then.  But David was about 5'10" 215#, figure out how much penetration that is....over 30".  The coroner said it was a 'freak accident,' but it still happened.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top