Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 9:27:53 PM EDT
Ammoman has .40 speeer gold dots in boxes of 250 rounds

but the boxes are marked  "not for LE" and "practice ammunition"

what EXACTLY does that mean??
i bought some for self defense ammo and now i question its quality
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The reason they are packaged in bulk and marked that way is because they did not meet Quality control standards.  I would not use it as SD ammo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ammoman has .40 speeer gold dots in boxes of 250 rounds

but the boxes are marked  "not for LE" and "practice ammunition"

what EXACTLY does that mean??
i bought some for self defense ammo and now i question its quality

I picked up a few K of the 9mm 124+p  when they were around and I have not had any ammo related problems.  I did have a few FTF from old NFML mags w/ weak springs.  Worked fine after I replaced the springs or used new mags.

IIRC there was an issue w/ the primer not meeting specs in the LE contract.  there was an est failure rate of ~1in 100k,  I have never read of anyone having trouble w/ it.

Here is an old post www.packing.org/oldnews/article/?article=7724 w/ lot #'s.

At the very least it would be good range practice ammo that is the same as your carry ammo.  

Call/email Speer to find out the exact reason your lot was recallled.

FYI ck out outdoorsmarksman.com.  They use to have it for cheaper then Ammoman.  I think it was like $50+ less for 2k even factoring in shipping to Maine.

FB
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah, it's probably good to function test that particular load in your gun before you go out and buy some.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not trust my life to them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC the reason was 1 in 28K has a defective primer.

It was originally LE boxed ammo they recalled.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I recall you could send the defective lots back to Speer and they would send replacement ammo with an 'A' stamped on the primer. I have several boxes like that. Remember that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top