Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 10:47:59 AM EDT
OK, I'm thinking about buying a case of ammo, but it's not target, so it will probably sit for years.  

While I know that ammo can sit safely for years, I was wondering what was the upper limit on age.

Also, what's the best way to keep it?  Would in an ammo can in the garage be OK?  It gets pretty hot.

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You are new here. You need to read the Ammo Oracle. It has a whole section on ammunition storage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.  

What I learned.

1. Heat, water and chemicals are bad.  

2. Properly stored, ammo can last decades.  

3. Ammo cans w/ silica is recommended for long-term storage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, I have more questions.  Forgive me if these have been asked, but I searched "storage" for the last 30 days and didn't get what I was looking for.

1. What is too hot?  Is 100 degrees in a Texas garage too much?

2. Is the typical humidity in a house OK?  I keep it pretty dry.  Moreover, how long can that box of ammo at the top of the closet be relied upon?

Thank you in advance
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO...
#1 No
#2 You'll be a dead old man and the ammo will still go bang.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.  That simplifies matters.  Any counter opinions?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you.  That simplifies matters.  Any counter opinions?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't keep it all in one place. Break it up into smaller lots and vaccuum pack them. Keep some in a couple of places in your house. Some in your vehicle(s), some in an undisclosed location.

Remember the old(and true) saying "a rat with one hole is a soon caught rat."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top