Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 8:03:20 PM EDT
Other than the fact that you can buy a 100-pack of them from Walmart for about $15, how do they perform in your gun? Anyone have any ballistics tests with various 9 mm JHP's, perhaps including Remington JHP's?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If their quality is similar to regular UMC FMJ, i tend to get a dead primer ow two ever couple boxes.  Wouldn;t use it for self defense.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]
interesting... so the quality is worse than winchester white box FMJ? because i've fired about 300 rounds of that and haven't had a single round fail.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
interesting... so the quality is worse than winchester white box FMJ? because i've fired about 300 rounds of that and haven't had a single round fail.

probably, but only b/c UMC has had qulaity issues w/ some of thier ammo in past yrs (its been resolved though)--but i have frequently used it and have had no problems

as to using it as a PD round....i would spend the extra money and get the good JHP rounds (either upgrade and get remington's golden sabers or get some speer gold dots or winchester rangers) that have been tested by the FBI and ballistics studies as well as the real world

UMC's and WWB like any other brands' "generic" line are made to quality specs (usually) but you have to consider things like velocity, reliable, consistancy in jacket/bullet mass retension and expansion, and relibility of the round as a whole as well as adequate penetration--any of which i would not expect UMC/WWB's JHPs to provide

dont skimp out on ammo that may save your life

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I never used UMC JHP's but I do use the FMJ alot.  I have probally shot UMC more than any other brand which would be a few thousand rounds and I have never had a single failure with it or because of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top