User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 1:18:50 PM EDT
Anyone have an opinion on these?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is it garbage? I am asking honestly because I like the way they feed but don't want to carry crap in my gun......
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
not garbage.  Not the blended metal shit either.

Frankly there's just better rounds out there. Corbon seems to have issues with jacket seperation and light rounds tend to underperform in the penetration area.  The powerball is better than some other light loads in this regard but not much.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
clubsoda22 and I must get our info from the same place.
Once again I have to agree that the powerball is better than some but not the best. If I had a gun that wouldn't feed hollowpoints reliably I would use it. Otherwise I would try to get some Winchester Rangers, Speer Gold Dots, or one of the other recommended loadings for my caliber gun. Check out AmmoLab.com.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Pow'r Ball seems like a niche market for shooters with feeding issues or higher-than normal barrier penetration issues.  Terminal performance is depends on which load we're talking about, and which penetration religion you subscribe to.  For my needs, guns, and risk assessments, the price premium simply isn't worthwhile, but if I had a free lifetime supply, and the ammo passed some of my reliability and accuracy tests, I'd probably carry it.

At those prices, I lke the Triton Quik-Shok much better.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
actually, powerball's barrier penetration isn't better than any other hollowpoint in it's class.

It's a good choice for a poor feeding gun, but so is federal EFMJ, which is a heavier round.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
actually, powerball's barrier penetration isn't better than any other hollowpoint in it's class.

For a given cartridge and bullet weight, there aren't really any other hollow points in its class.  And the Pow'rball design in most cases will penetrate metal, glass, and wood more reliably than heavier hollow points in the same cartridge.  Try this experiment with your favorite cartridge and hollow-point load.  Buy some hardwood from the lumber store in gradually increasing thicknesses.  Increase the thickness of the wood in small steps until you find the thickness that is stopping your favorite load most of the time.  Now, using the same thickness, test the penetration of the Pow'rball load in that cartridge.  It will penetrate the wood that your favorite load fails to penetrate most of the time.  Repeat the experiment on glass and sheet metal and you will find the same thing.  Most of the time, the Pow'rball load will penetrate thicknesses that heavier hollowpoints will not.

Michael Courtney

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen Pow-R-Ball run into Gelatin next to some of the more conventional loads out there.

Pow-R-Ball in 9mm and .45 ACP performed as well if not better than most against the std. 4 layer denim barrier, and absolutely bettered the field when reliability in the handgun was an issue.

Jacket seperatons and fragmentation wasn't seen.

Then again I have to wonder "Who" decided fragmentation and seperation from the jacket was a bad  thing if the stupid thing works when needed.

If the stuff feeds reliably in your sidearm, I have seen nothing to indicate that Pow-R-Ball is less effective than ANY other loading out there.

Although I DO see advantages in the reliablity of Pow-R-Ball.

There has to be a "Bang" before things go our way.

Old Prejudices must be discarded, if the truth is what we are honestly looking for.

The whole package must be kept in focus.

S-28
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Dr. Roberts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top