Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 5:46:26 AM EDT
I carry my 1911 with  Ranger 45 , but currently use American Eagle 230 FMJ for less expensive range ammo.  My question -if I do stockpile ammo  is there a good 230 ball for range use that would still be adequate if there ever were a SHTF scenario?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Uh, its a .45.  A round from a .45 has damn good stopping/knockdown/killing power.  I know a ball round won't do as much damage as good HP like Ranger. But it will do a hell of a lot of damage.  I can't remember what they are called but their is a "ball" round made that when it impacts it spreads like a HP.  Feeds great in .45s that are moody with JHP.  My last 1911 would barely feed any HP but it would shoot that expanding ball round everytime.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The round you're talking about is Federal P45CSP-1. This is a good round for people who can't or won't use hollow points for whatever reason. The Detroit PD found it has a 10% failure to expand rate, but this is meaningless because they don't break down every 'failure' for analysis. Bear in mind that even the best hollow point is going to have failures to expand. Out of all the complaints you hear about U.S. military weapons and ammo, you almost never hear about the troops being dissatisfied with the .45 round.  If you're going to shoot someone with FMJ, 230 is about as good as it gets.

Quoted:
Uh, its a .45.  A round from a .45 has damn good stopping/knockdown/killing power.  I know a ball round won't do as much damage as good HP like Ranger. But it will do a hell of a lot of damage.  I can't remember what they are called but their is a "ball" round made that when it impacts it spreads like a HP.  Feeds great in .45s that are moody with JHP.  My last 1911 would barely feed any HP but it would shoot that expanding ball round everytime.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah,  If it's a .45 its still gonna kick ass when it hits.  Period.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Any idea who has this  (Federal P45CSP-1.)   for sale at a good price??
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
When I first started getting into 1911s about 20 years ago I was in a local gunshop. An older man that worked there as a part time smith was very knowledgeable. I asked in earnest what was a good defensive round in .45ACP. I'll never forget his answer: "I've always found hardball to the head to be effective".
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
stockpile ammo for your rifle.  When the SHTF the pistol is for getting to the rifle, then it's job is done until the rifle runs dry.  Then it's for you before the zombies get ya.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Any idea who has this  (Federal P45CSP-1.)   for sale at a good price??

http://www.ammoman.com/
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I just buy the 100rnd Winchesters or 250 rnd Remington/UMC (ball for the .45 and flat nose for .40) for stock piling. As said above I keep the good stuff(lots of it) for my Ar along with my Wolf for blasting. In a SHTF situation the Ar will spittin lead more so than any of my pistols as they would only be for last resort, after I run through all of the 000 buck I have. I keep a litttle over a 1000 in .45 and .40 however. But, when I go to the range I usually burn through 500 or so or unless I get tired of loading magazines. The only "high quality defensive" pistol ammo I keep is two mags loaded up with 180 gr TAP for my XD-40 Tactical which is my CCW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top