Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 11:05:56 AM EDT
I got a bundle of newspaper and put one round of each into it.  The Ranger is on the left, and it penetrated 3 inches further than the Hydrashok, which penetrated about 4 inches.  What do ya'll think?

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Try soaking the paper in water before you shoot it if you didn't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I did.  My dad taught me about it.  I don't know if it's close to realistic or not, but that's what he did and that's what I do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks as if the ranger plugged up that's why it penetrated deeper, the Hydrashock expanded properly..
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If it only penetrated 4 inches, this is a fairly unreliable ballistic medium.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read that newsprint needs to be absolutely soaked (for a while) before it makes for a good medium.  Wet newspaper doesn't work well.  It's gotta be completely wet for long enough that it almost becomes a thick slurry.  A test that yields a few inches of penatration from a 40SW doesn't tell me anything.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoulda seen the channel it opened though.  If it is realistic other than penetration depth.  I'd HATE to be on the recieving end of that hydrashok,  either actually but mostly the hydrashok.  I'm headed to the range tommorrow and I'll be taking some bundles with me, soaked throughly and I'll take pics of the damage and the rounds.  with depth measurments.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck on the testing.. And let us know..

Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll tell you now, in actual tests the ranger is the better load.  Might take some of the drama out of it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'll tell you now, in actual tests the ranger is the better load.  Might take some of the drama out of it.

yeah but it's still fun to do
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Who's tests.... Winchesters or Federals?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, if I am ever attacked by newspaper, I know which round I would rather have.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's tests.... Winchesters or Federals?

Independent tests.  The hydrashock is an old design, good by early 90's standards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have fired my G20 into a 9' deep pool to get perfect mushrooms
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, if I am ever attacked by newspaper, I know which round I would rather have.

as I am attacked with libel drivel daily in the newspaper I better get me some of these....  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

as I am attacked with libel drivel daily in the newspaper I better get me some of these....  

Congrats, it only took someone a week or so to get the irony behind it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top