Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:34:29 PM EDT
Is there a 'safe' temperature range for storage of handgun ammunition? Also if there is a fire, does the ammunition actually start exploding as if fired from a gun, or will the gunpowder just burn?

any info would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
First off...WELCOME TO THE SITE!!

I usually have my ammo stored in military surplus ammo cans with a packet of silica gel to absorb moisture. A temp of 50-70F is usually best for storage.

In the event of a fire, the ammo will simply "pop" apart nonlethally. This is a lot different from being set off in the confines of a pistol chamber where the pressures are concentrated. Still, I would not want to be around it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that!

We have just moved to the desert, and although the ammo is stored in the proper ammo cases the temperatures at the storage site can reach up to 140F. I just wanted to make sure that this temperature was safe. If anyone has any knowledge of this please let me know.

many thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I would worry tha the powder could degrade at those kinds of temps all the time...  for a short term there would not be issues but long term I would expect some problems... I believe the problem will be with the primer before the powder but these are just guesses as I couldn't find a reference......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Were you banished there or what? What's the upside to a place that reaches 140? I would be leery of ammo stored under those conditions. Also, if night temps plunge, the temperature swings can be bad, or so I have read. I guess humidity isn't a problem?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top