Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2005 1:37:02 PM EDT
I need to find out what ammo is teflon coated. Ranger SXT is the only one i know of. In North Carolina it's illegal to posses it so i need to find out what i can and can't order.
Thanks
GlenR

Incase your curious see page 27

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks , is sxt coated with anything? Moly maybe? I though the whole cop killer bullet thing was long gone too but when i read that regulation i was curious if there was any around and who made it.
Thanks again
Glen
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
the teflon coated " cop killer " bullets were developed to give better penetration for sub guns in military and police hands.

the teflon was to protect the weapon being fired's barrel from the hard metal projectile.

when the media caught on to and created all this hoopla, all that was accomplished was to advertise to dirt bags of cops wearing body armor and to shoot accordingly and or use a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there an exclusion for rifle ammo? I think some rifle bullets available for purchase to reload are teflon coated. Some of the faster wildcats come to mind. They may be calling it Moly now, but it does the same job, protecting the bbl and throat from erosion.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a box of Ranger SXT about 2 years ago i bought at a gun show and they were the black coated hollow point bullets like the Talon. Maybe they stopped coating them.

GlenR
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Modern Ranger Talons aren't coated AFAIK. Every picture I've seen of them are just plain copper jacket. Of course I've never bought a box because I'm partial to Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not familiar with any regulation on "black talons" in NC. I'm interested in the reg. I think the L.E.O.'s in NC don't use them anymore because the liberal media made a stink about them being used on minorities. Some B.S. about politically incorrect and whatnot. I also think the coating was to preserve the copper from tarnishing and corroding in the magazines, but I can't back that up with evidence. I know the new SXT is not coated any further and that at present some agencies are switching to Gold Dot due to price.  
Rick
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is the Federal NyClad line still around? I used to shoot a lot of that in LSW .38.

I don't think it's still around but the bullet was clad with Nylon,
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not familiar with any regulation on "black talons" in NC. I'm interested in the reg. I think the L.E.O.'s in NC don't use them anymore because the liberal media made a stink about them being used on minorities. Some B.S. about politically incorrect and whatnot. I also think the coating was to preserve the copper from tarnishing and corroding in the magazines, but I can't back that up with evidence. I know the new SXT is not coated any further and that at present some agencies are switching to Gold Dot due to price.  
Rick

see page 27

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Moly is not teflon either and should not be regulated to the best of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
If you mean regulated by the armor piercing law, that would be defined as

A projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constucted entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

I don't know of any laws restricting other materials used (except explosives, and Geneva convention rules for military forces, and generally controlled/restricted substances) in bullet construction.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Black Talons were coated in a paint called Lubalox.  I forget what exactly it is for, but getting past armor was not one of them.  Winchester took BTs of the market for civvies, and sold them to LEAs only.  The first generation Ranger series still had the lLubalox coating.  Winchester decided there really want a point to this, and Gen. 2 and Gen 3 Rangers mno longer have the coating.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The Lazzeroni LazerHead Bullets might violate this law.  They are coated with Robar's NP3, quoting Robar:

NP3 is Electroless Nickel and TEFLON. The TEFLON is bonded to the particles of Nickel at the molecular level providing self lubrication throughout the entire coating. The Nickel in this finish provides corrosion and abrasion resistance.

Quoted:
Whoops, I forgot we were talking about a dumbass state law

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Violate what law?  Neither Nickel or Teflon is on the banned materials list, which itself only applies to handgun ammunition and not rifle ammo.

ETA:  Whoops, I forgot we were talking about a dumbass state law
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top