Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2016 12:21:08 AM EDT
I was shooting some Brown Bear in my Mak this afternoon and had a fizzle. It literally just fizzled and smoked a little and that was it. I did the standard drill, pointed it in a safe direction for a few seconds and then popped the mag and round out of the chamber. Upon examining the barrel low and behold the bullet was just barely down the barrel. I heavily oiled up the barrel and took an aluminum cleaning rod and just kept tapping until it came out. The barrel was fine thankfully. This was only the second box out of 1k rounds of Brown Bear so I'm hoping this is a isolated incident.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was shooting some Brown Bear in my Mak this afternoon and had a fizzle. It literally just fizzled and smoked a little and that was it. I did the standard drill, pointed it in a safe direction for a few seconds and then popped the mag and round out of the chamber. Upon examining the barrel low and behold the bullet was just barely down the barrel. I heavily oiled up the barrel and took an aluminum cleaning rod and just kept tapping until it came out. The barrel was fine thankfully. This was only the second box out of 1k rounds of Brown Bear so I'm hoping this is a isolated incident.
View Quote

I've long lost count of how much Brown and Silver Bear has been down the barrels of my AR and GLOCK 17.  Only issues I've ever had with it were firearm related.  Usually weak striker or hammer springs.    Nver had a squib.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Squibs happen, our agency moved away from remington ammo many years ago due to a batch that had a lot squibs. Was probably an isolated event. Ive had a bunch from every type of ammo you can imagine over the years, domestic and foreign.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot enough and eventually you'll find a squib.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
At least you caught it, a buddy of mine was shooting my M1 (1944 Springfield, that was issued) and got a squib, he just reloaded and shot again. To the rifles credit he was not seriously injured, but I now only have a trigger group left. Best part is he dissapeard from my life after that
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
THE

Not isolated.  Bought a case 1000 of Silver Bear.  In first box, a woofer stuck a steel jacketed 9mm (158?) half way up the 16" barrel of my Beretta Carbine.

Returned rest of the case.

ComBloc ammo usually better but unless a big SKS or AK firing pin is hitting it, crap shoot.

Used drill rod protected with wraps of electric tape to pound that SOB out.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Squibs are scary stuff. I like to think most weapons won't cycle if the bullet doesn't exit the barrel, and a kaboom becomes an operator error. Has anyone seen a squib that was able to cycle the action in either a rifle or handgun ?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine did cycle. The fizzle and smoke let me know something wasn't right, not to mention almost zero recoil. You notice the non presence of snap when shooting a Mak.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I doubt it's possible, more likely that some dumb ass chambers a fresh round behind it and claims it cycled.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't speak for others or for numerous occurrences on my part, but it cycled. I pulled the trigger, fizzle and poof happened. I checked slide and it had gone into forward position, but knew something wasn't right. Removed magazine and then pulled back slide and round came out ejection port due to gravity  ( leaned hard right) and was not pulled by extractor. The barrel behind bullet was filled with debris which took several swipes from a bronze brush to clear, cotton patch wouldn't pull it all out. I have even contemplated the possibility of heavy CLP on mags and in container which held loaded mags for a couple of weeks contaminating ammo. I guess time will tell on that. I'm not going to leave any stored loaded in those mags that I keep pretty liberally greased with CLP anymore.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt it's possible, more likely that some dumb ass chambers a fresh round behind it and claims it cycled.
View Quote

That's entirely a possibility also.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#11]
So it did in fact eject the case from the squib and load a fresh round ?  Scary if it did, but it sounds like it was really noticeable, unless  your double tapping or rapid fire.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats one thing about steel ammo, unless it is laquer sealed on the bullet and primer they are more susceptible to oil and moisture intrusion. I had my basement flood once and had a ton of various ammo down there, the only ammo that ended up with dead primers and a couple squibs was some tulammo. All the other various ammo was fine. There was also some steel russian ammo i had bought in the 90's with laquer sealer all around and it had been sitting in a damp barn for years before being put in the basement. It was fine and shot great. I think the steel case doesnt bounce back as much whem theu load it leaving space for stuff to get in in some cases. I fixed this by storing it upstairs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So it did in fact eject the case from the squib and load a fresh round ?  Scary if it did, but it sounds like it was really noticeable, unless  your double tapping or rapid fire.
View Quote

I was firing slowly and it was VERY noticeable, fizzle/poof and almost zero recoil.I kept it pointed down range for a few seconds and then pulled mag and leaned it hard right and pulled slide back. A live round fell out (by gravity) not pulled/flicked by the extractor.

I'm going to fire the rest of those loaded mags today and hope there isn't any more issues.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Well it happened again on mag number 1 round 3. I'm leaning heavily toward CLP contamination now. I had 7 mags loaded and stored in plastic container for a couple of weeks. Im going to toss all the ammo I had loaded in those mags and try some fresh on Sunday.

IMG_0079 by , on Flickr

IMG_0081 by , on Flickr

IMG_0083 by , on Flickr

IMG_0084 by , on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Well it happened again on mag number 1 round 3. I'm leaning heavily toward CLP contamination now. I had 7 mags loaded and stored in plastic container for a couple of weeks. Im going to toss all the ammo I had loaded in those mags and try some fresh on Sunday.

IMG_0079 by , on Flickr

IMG_0081 by , on Flickr

IMG_0083 by , on Flickr

IMG_0084 by , on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Did it cycle the slide like before ?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#17]
No, it stovepiped. I'm going to pull some bullets and look at the powder.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. All brands. Premium and economy. Won't matter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Had one today. 9mm Federal 115 grain from a SW 5906. Primer was dented but round didn't fire.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I read somewhere a guy posted a Hornady Critical Defense round in 9x18 Mak (oddly enough) squibbed on him. He had pics to prove it. And that's top self ammo.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Had one today. 9mm Federal 115 grain from a SW 5906. Primer was dented but round didn't fire.
View Quote

That would be a dud, or hard primer. That can be very common. A squib is where the bullet leave the case but doesn't exit the barrel. If not caught and another round is fired,....Kaboom !
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#22]
WHY would you CLP magazines and ammo?  Forgive me, but that is senseless.

Magazines are cleaned and dried inside and out as best wiping them dry will work.  Add ammo.  NEVER add oil.  It kills powder and kills primers.

Oiling mags for storage with ammo is just creating duds.  Most people know this.  

Wording selected because this is a safety message.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WHY would you CLP magazines and ammo?  Forgive me, but that is senseless.

Magazines are cleaned and dried inside and out as best wiping them dry will work.  Add ammo.  NEVER add oil.  It kills powder and kills primers.

Oiling mags for storage with ammo is just creating duds.  Most people know this.  

Wording selected because this is a safety message.
View Quote

When I got the mags there was a tinge of surface rust on a couple of them. I hit them with CLP and some 0000 steel wool to eliminate rust and just heavily hit all the mags with CLP to make sure all nooks and crannies got some. I just did a quick wipe down with my cotton  rag to eliminate excess oil and threw in container. I'm sure there was still excess inside mags as I didn't remove floor plates and run the rag through. I would normally never leave mags loaded in this manner for long periods of time, but I was lazy. I generally load my mags at home before I hit the range/farm so it's straight trigger time and no loading when I'm ready to shoot. I loaded the mags for a trip to the farm, but when I arrived I had to attend to a problem immediately and it ran me till dark.
I didn't unload the mags (lazy) and they sat loaded for a couple of weeks. It did allow me to see the famed/mythical squib load though
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Have only had 1 squib so far, in a S&W carbine. Luckily it didn't cycle the next round and I transitioned to secondary to finish the course of fire.

We were doing some close-in transition drills, so if the weapon would have cycled I wouldn't have caught it in time to stop the next round from going kaboom. Projectile made it more than halfway down the barrel, so it was just barely underpowered.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never personally had a squib. I have seen them, been on the same range, and witnessed it. I have had rounds with big dents in the primer and it did not go bang. One that I did not see, shooter fired a second round and bulged the barrel on a Smith revolver, with factory ammo. Smith replaced the barrel, no charge.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top