Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 7:09:59 PM EDT
I bought a Mk25 and I have been feeding it 115 gr from freedom munitions. I am looking to up grade and I have read a few pages of this topic and I really liked the what should I stock up on thread where they guy didn't want to break the bank on ammo but I don't know anything about 9mm. Can someone enlighten me please. I bought a box of pdx for home defense, but I am going to start shooting more and I would like to gain some knowledge.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
PDX isn't bad but it can be had for a better price per round in boxes of 50 when it's sold as Ranger-T. Here's a discussion of 9mm defensive ammo that lists various recommended loads. 147gr Federal HST is an extremely popular choice for defensive ammo, but finding it in stock is frequently a matter of luck.

For practice ammo look at FMJ in the same bullet weight as what you're carrying/using at home for self-defense. For instance, I carry 147gr standard pressure P9HST2 so I try to practice with 147gr Speer Lawman TMJ or Federal American Eagle FMJ. Both can be found in bulk online for about $0.25/round.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI

Critical Duty (not Defense) & Gold Dot are also excellent defense rounds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, The only place to get ammo locally is Cabelas and the local gun shop which knows they are really the only option so they raise up the price as much as they can.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, The only place to get ammo locally is Cabelas and the local gun shop which knows they are really the only option so they raise up the price as much as they can.
View Quote

Cabelas runs some pretty decent deals on 9mm ammo.  I've bought a ton of S&B, Fiocchi, NATO and Herters Gold for plinking there at good prices.  

I buy HST's, Gold Dots and Rangers from places like SG Ammo, Mass Ammo and TargetSports.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You should buy some from SGammo.com and have it delivered.  You can get great deals on Winchester and Hornady Critical Duty in 500 round packs.  

They have the best prices and very low shipping.   I am pretty sure they are a site sponsor as well.

I never buy ammo from local retailers as they charge 30-40% more plus tax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top