Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 5:00:30 AM EDT

My question is regarding Hornady factory ammo for the .480. The 325 gr. is fairly common and carried. It must be a little short at the moment 'cause most online retailers have it backordered. I did see that cheaperthandirt has some Hornady 400 gr. rounds in stock. The Hornady website doesn't even list the 400 gr. round for the .480, only the .475 linebaugh, which I realize is the bigger brother to the .480. I would guess that Hornandy maybe had a short production run using the 400 gr. bullet intended for the .475 and made some 480 cartridges? I have yet to see it elsewhere. It peaks my interest. I am gearing up for a boar hunt in April. Last hunt I used the 325 gr with outstanding results on a young boar. This trip I intend to take a mature trophy boar and picked up some Speer 325 gr. GDSP for it. It should prove adequate, but a 400 gr. JHP bullet may be better. Buffalo Bore is the only other one I have found that produces a heavier bullet (410 gr.) cartride, but they are a bit proud of it on price. If I was hunting griz' or the like that would be just fine, but a little strong for boars cost wise in my opinion. YMMV.
Has anyone made use of the Hornady 400 gr. cartride?
Much obliged for any info.
-manintan

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top