Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 9:21:14 AM EDT
All the pertinent data is in the description for the videos. To read it, click the "watch on YouTube" link.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Great videos! Thanks for sharing.  

Looks like the Gold Dot used just barely holds up to those velocities. While The XTP does pretty well and penetrates nice and deep
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. Please take a look at my other 200 gr XTP videos before drawing any conclusions, though. They seem to be very velocity sensitive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I agree. Please take a look at my other 200 gr XTP videos before drawing any conclusions, though. They seem to be very velocity sensitive.

I will do that.  I am a big fan of the Gold Dot, way more so than the XTP.  I just find that in this particular instance where a Gold Dot engineered for the  .40Short&Weak is used in the fast 10mm, it may not always function as reliably as Gold Dots are known to do in other calibers such as the .45 or the 9.   However, I wouldn't be afraid to carry the Underwood 10mm Gold Dots on me for protection, if only I had a 10mm gun to load them in
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The Gold Dot is a crazy tough bullet. The XTP is too, but less forgiving of clothing and velocity. A user on another forum sent me a box o' ammo to test so I'll be working my way through lots of 10mm stuff. Here and there I'd like to mix in some other rounds, too. I want to do mostly unconventional things that haven't been tested a lot like Silver Bear 9X18mm JHP or American Eagle 158 gr .357 mag JSP. I'd like to hear what other folks are interested in seeing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Gold Dot is a crazy tough bullet. The XTP is too, but less forgiving of clothing and velocity. A user on another forum sent me a box o' ammo to test so I'll be working my way through lots of 10mm stuff. Here and there I'd like to mix in some other rounds, too. I want to do mostly unconventional things that haven't been tested a lot like Silver Bear 9X18mm JHP or American Eagle 158 gr .357 mag JSP. I'd like to hear what other folks are interested in seeing.

Are these two videos you?

I would like to see penetration tests of hard cast loads.  Just how thick of steel would a 45acp loaded with a 255 hard cast penetrate, or other barriers like dimensional lumber and sheet rock or automobiles and the like.  

I would also like to see ballistic gel tests of hand loads of less common bullets like these
Nosler 230 gr jhp in .45 Nosler #: 44922
Sierra 230 gr. jhp  in 45 Sierra #: 8805

For factory ammo -
Cor-Bon loads
Federal Bonded Tactical
Prvi Partizan jhp

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see penetration tests of hard cast loads.  Just how thick of steel would a 45acp loaded with a 255 hard cast penetrate, or other barriers like dimensional lumber and sheet rock or automobiles and the like.  

I would also like to see ballistic gel tests of hand loads of less common bullets like these

For factory ammo -
Cor-Bon loads
Federal Bonded Tactical
Prvi Partizan jhp

Yup. They're my videos. If you go to my channel, you can see some of my other videos. Mostly 10mm and a little bit of other stuff. I actually don't have any .45 ACP dies right now but I'm sure I'll get some eventually. I did test a 10mm CORBON a couple weeks ago. It was underwhelming. Eventually I'll test an Underwood 220 gr hard cast in gelatin but I'll have to set up with an entirely different mold and I probably need to get more gelatin, too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For factory ammo -
Cor-Bon loads
Federal Bonded Tactical
Prvi Partizan jhp

Yup. They're my videos. If you go to my channel, you can see some of my other videos. Mostly 10mm and a little bit of other stuff. I actually don't have any .45 ACP dies right now but I'm sure I'll get some eventually. I did test a 10mm CORBON a couple weeks ago. It was underwhelming. Eventually I'll test an Underwood 220 gr hard cast in gelatin but I'll have to set up with an entirely different mold and I probably need to get more gelatin, too.

Excellent! I will go take a look at your channel, thanks for sharing your work.  I don't have a 10mm yet and that's why I was curious about  the 45 loads.
Someday if I can afford to do so, I hope to have a 10mm and a 9x23mm and reload for both.  But until then I have some .45's and some 9mm's and a .357
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
10mm is certainly a fun caliber to play around with. I'd really like to get into 9x25mm Dillon some day, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top