Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2012 12:41:29 AM EDT
For the duty/urban environment scenario (if you are expecting to shoot through glass, sheet metal, thugs wearing heavy clothing, plywood, wall board etc...).

180 gr HST or 180 gr Gold Dot. The weapon is a 40 S&W.

Ballistics are here...

Gold Dot
http://le.atk.com/ammunition/speer/handgun/details.aspx?id=53962

HST
http://le.atk.com/ammunition/federal/handgun/details.aspx?id=566

If you would please look at the charts for both and base answers on the ballistics shown on the charts and personal experience that would be great!

I am trying to decide on the more penetrating but less expanding Gold Dot or the slightly less penetrating but more devastatingly expanding HST.

I know shot placement is the main goal when it comes to pistol ammo and both rounds are great... I just need help choosing between the two. Both of which are suggested by the Dr.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Between the two I would carry whichever my pistol shot more accurately. In my G23 I carry the 180 HST in the winter and the 165 HST in the summer. Having said that my G26 LOVES the gold dot so in my 9 I carry the Gold dot. My friend in the secret service carries the 357 sig with 125gr gold dot...they need barrier penetration.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Both are quality rounds, so whichever you can get cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as they meet the 12" minimum, I would go for expansion.  HST fails the 12" in steel, but both meet 12" or more in the other areas.  Personally I use HST as it is better in bare gel and heavy clothing.  If I ever get into a gunfight, I think it is unlikely I'd be shooting through car doors so I'm willing to sacrifice a little performance there (ie. if 90% of the time clothing is all you worry about, go with what works best 90% of the time).  I think most muggers are either going to get shot right away or they are going to run like hell when the shooting starts, unlikely they will take cover and shoot it out with you

Edit: you mention duty.  If I was in law enforcement I would consider the barriers a little more, but would still think the HST is the best all around performer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I was leaning more toward HST.

I know it fails the FBI testing in the steel but only by an inch. Other than that I think it is pretty solid. The expansion is incredible.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What I do for any given gun is buy a box of Ranger, HST, and Gold Dot and shoot them to see which I prefer.  Terminally they are all very similar.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
HST all the way.
Even though I use 155 grain the HST really is the hottest round going right now.

This is some HST Government over run that the border patrol used to use, before going to HST 180 grain, This came from SGAmmo.

This is 9MM, however this shows all the major players and how they expand, look at number 6 and 7.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
In my opinion, you are comparing the best (HST) and second best (gold dot) options.  I buy my HSTs and Gold Dots from SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:19:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with above poster hence why I said shoot them both and whichever your pistol prefers would be the one I go with
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:08:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I sell LE ammo, either one is fine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
After looking at all the data at the ATK I would take the HST over the Gold Dot in any handgun caliber. 9mm ,40,45,
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Just for kicks heres a 45ACP in a Winchester Ranger I fired.
It seems to do real good also in the expansion department.
I bet these rounds will tear thru some tissue and cut a few arteries on the way!

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for HST 180.

I haven't been able to find them in 9mm but did find a bunch of Gold Dots in 124+P and 147gr variety and for a good price.

I have a little write-up under the GLOCK subforum about Federal XM40HC and Winchester Q4369 Bonded JHPs and shooting into books here.

The results were interesting.

I still carry HSTs in my Glock.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Frankly I don't think it really matters.

The HST has a slight edge in expansion, the Gold dot an Edge in barrier penetration.  I'd be perfectly comfortable carrying either.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 147g HST in my 9mm SD guns..
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Those petals are wicked - like an arrow razor point.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Frankly I don't think it really matters.

The HST has a slight edge in expansion, the Gold dot an Edge in barrier penetration.  I'd be perfectly comfortable carrying either.

All my internet based research tells me this as well.

Assuming they both work reliably in your gun, it's splitting hairs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top