Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 3:46:51 AM EDT
I am stocking up on 9mm (I already have a ton of 45acp, 5.56, and 7.62x39)

While I dedicate about 20% of my ammo on hand to bonded golden saber of my favorite JHP grain loads, I want to find a good solid performing grain weight for my 9mm.

On duty we carry 124grain nato rounds in our M9's. I am thinking 124 is a good ball round to stick to but looking at what everyone else is thinking. These won't really be for target practice so much as what I will be using in all situations if needed.

I am not looking for a pissing contest, just ballistics and what works for people.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
For the FMJ section of my 9mm stash, I have Winchester NATO 124gr in the white box. (I think it's Q4138 or something like that).

It is +P and noticably hotter.

I bought mine from SGAmmo and wish I had bought more. I still have about 1300 rds.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm no expert but the 124 grn NATO is a bit hotter and obviously a heaver projectile, it also promotes better function in the M9. The 115 is more for range or training IMO. That being said I train (for the most part) with 115 grn and keep the majority of my 124 grn in reserve.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing wrong with sticking with the 124gr rounds.I've got 1K of those from Precision Delta and they make great plinking rounds.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Im confused,
Its not for practice
And you have Golden Sabers

So what will they be used for?
SHTF Stockpile?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

While I dedicate about 20% of my ammo on hand to bonded golden saber of my favorite JHP grain loads, I want to find a good solid performing grain weight for my 9mm.

On duty we carry 124grain nato rounds in our M9's. I am thinking 124 is a good ball round to stick to but looking at what everyone else is thinking. These won't really be for target practice so much as what I will be using in all situations if needed.

I am not looking for a pissing contest, just ballistics and what works for people.

You say "on duty" please don't tell me your on a PD and that's what your dept issue round is.

I have mostly WWB 115 stashed for plinking and would use it for a SHTF situation if needed. My daily carry is 124+p Gold Dots and recently 147 Ranger Ts.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say "on duty" please don't tell me your on a PD and that's what your dept issue round is.

I have mostly WWB 115 stashed for plinking and would use it for a SHTF situation if needed. My daily carry is 124+p Gold Dots and recently 147 Ranger Ts.

I am a MA2 in the NAVY, it is our issue weapon and round.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im confused,
Its not for practice

SHTF Stockpile?

Stocking up on Golden Sabers is very expensive. I order about 200-400 a year per 1000-2000 rounds of ball ammo. I shoot a lot.

I like to have ammo on hand for whatever may come up. So draw your own conclusions, but these ball rounds will need to be for everything, not just plinking.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im confused,
Its not for practice

SHTF Stockpile?

Stocking up on Golden Sabers is very expensive. I order about 200-400 a year per 1000-2000 rounds of ball ammo. I shoot a lot.

I like to have ammo on hand for whatever may come up. So draw your own conclusions, but these ball rounds will need to be for everything, not just plinking.

Ok, I gotcha
Well then I like to find a decently hot 124gr FMJ
Speer Lawman is my favorite right now. $200 a case at SGAmmo (think they have 147gr if you want  that)
Your duty ammo is one of the best non JHP in my opinion.

The 147gr will penetrate better, and all the FMJ rounds will put the same diameter hole in a target. So 147gr may be better, but it doesnt shoot as well in my M&P9, so I stick to 124gr
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Go 124.  Almost all of the 9mm in ball I own is that grain.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I switched to 147 because a can is in my near future.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
147gr.

Near identical performance compared to 124+P, but with slightly better penetration and less recoil for better follow ups.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer 147gr, but for cost reasons shoot 115.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the 124gr
but since its all practice ammo I wouldnt have a problem 115gr
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you find/buy the bonded Golden Saber online or at gun shops/stores
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you find/buy the bonded Golden Saber online or at gun shops/stores

I buy them online. The box of 50 124+p bonded for 9mm, and the 230 Grain bonded for 45acp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top