Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2011 6:08:23 AM EDT
.45 ACP blanks don't appear to be commonly available (at least not at my normal online ammo sources).

I need approximately a dozen for a skit in a couple of weeks. The main goals are that they not cause injury at a distance of 10 yards, and that they are realistically loud. I will be firing them from a SW 625 revolver, so cycling the action is not a concern.

Possible solutions:

1. Fiocchi makes a very short .45 rimmed blank (shown below). However, assuming the Fiocchi are dimensioned based on the .45 colt, the base diameter is .004 larger than the .45 ACP.

2. I have plenty of FMJ that I could pull the bullet from. What I don't have is a way to crimp the case shut. This means using a plug of wax or cardboard. I have concerns about the wax staying too intact. Stacked discs of cardboard might be viable. The plug needs to be tight enough that it will survive a jolting tractor ride for a couple of miles.

Ideas?

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The main goals are that they not cause injury at a distance of 10 yards,

I would still recommend against pointing at anything that you do not intend to destroy. 10 yards is way too close for comfort for me, even with a starter gun. Piece of grit or dirt, and you've got problems.

Does it have to be .45ACP? What about a purpose made starter/blank gun? The blanks for my .22 ring my ears pretty good.

Back in the day, I used to do civil war reenacting. We'd load our cap and ball pistols with a charge of BP, then fill the rest with cream of wheat. Compress/ram that down, then cover with bore butter/grease/vaseline. Works great for blanks, nice and loud, puff of smoke, realistic looking, and cheap. Even then, we'd still always point in a safe direction when discharging.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The main goals are that they not cause injury at a distance of 10 yards,

I would still recommend against pointing at anything that you do not intend to destroy. 10 yards is way too close for comfort for me, even with a starter gun. Piece of grit or dirt, and you've got problems.

I agree and the plan is not to shoot at any person. It will appear that I am firing at a screaming, glowing figure that is running toward us. It will be dark enough at this point that no one will really be able to tell where I am aiming. However, I am paranoid. Thus, I still want the least destructive wadding as possible. The figure should veer off into the woods well before 10 yards - again I am paranoid and planning for worst case.

Does it have to be .45ACP? What about a purpose made starter/blank gun? The blanks for my .22 ring my ears pretty good.

Because the the 625 is the only revolver I have.

I will have to visibly wear it most of the evening and none of my semi-autos look the part.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Because the the 625 is the only revolver I have.

I will have to visibly wear it most of the evening and none of my semi-autos look the part.

I'd loan ya my .22 starter pistol, but it would fail that "visibility" part. It's tiny. lol..
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
For those that are concerned about safety:

The rounds and firearm will be checked by myself, the screamer, and a third person. There will be no other .45 ACP rounds allowed on the private property.

I also will not be CCW.

The screamer and I will be in constant radio contact.

Approximately a quarter mile from the end of a 2 mile hay ride, the tractor will "break down". While waiting for the tractor to "cool down", I will chit chat with the crowd on the trailer, mentioning that they may have noticed that I am packing my hog leg and that I am doing it because you never know what kind of panther or haint you might meet in these woods.

I will be wearing my best overalls.

During this conversation, we will start hearing screams that are getting closer. I will presumably be radioing someone back at the starting point - asking if they hear anything unusual, etc. In reality, I will be talking to the screamer and eventually give him a code phrase. At that point, he will rip off his garbage bag that is covering his glow stick soaked sheet shreds that he is wearing. He will come out of the woods and run down the road toward us. He will start out quite a ways from us - we need enough time for everyone to have a chance to see him.

After an appropriate amount of yelling on my part, I will run slightly forward of the tractor, draw and fire all 6 rounds - low and to my right.

He will veer back into the woods to my left at the 20 yard mark. We will mark his entrance and exit points with mini glow sticks in advance.

I would rather stay on the tractor, but I absolutely do not trust anyone else with the firearm handling part.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Back in the day, I used to do civil war reenacting. We'd load our cap and ball pistols with a charge of BP, then fill the rest with cream of wheat. Compress/ram that down, then cover with bore butter/grease/vaseline. Works great for blanks, nice and loud, puff of smoke, realistic looking, and cheap. Even then, we'd still always point in a safe direction when discharging.

I had forgotten all about using bore butter to seal BP revolver cylinders to prevent chain fire.

I will try a test using cream of wheat and Crisco. (With maybe a single cardboard disc between the powder and the cream of wheat.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top