Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 3:16:18 PM EDT
What is considered Frangible Ammunition?

Was the infamous Black Talon frangible?

What about Hydra-shok?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Frangible, to me, means rounds that will pretty much disintegrate on steel targets...zinc bullets, hard cast at higher velocities, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Who sells those and what are they called?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple boxes of Triton CQD 155gr. .45acp HPs. Never clocked 'em but they claim 1225 fps for them. They use some sort of sintered metal that does not contain lead and claim they are suitable for both training or defense use...probably the claim is correct. I have shot a few hundred on steel and they do break up well. There are several years old now and I seem to recall they were pretty pricey even then and at agency prices. Federal makes...or used to...a powdered zinc bullet for use in the 223 for steel type training and I have also shot a few of them, but they are also very expensive. Not sure who else is making anything now, but I'm sure it is out there.

BTW Triton's web address no longer works...don't know if they are still in business or not. They show a toll free phone number of: 800-861-3362...they are, or were, in Wappingers Falls, NY so maybe some of the NY crew may know about them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
There are two kinds of frangible if I'm not mistaken. There's the kind that they're studying for airplane use that desintigrates (sp?) on impact with a metal or hard object. Then there's the new kind that pierces armor but desintigrates on impact with flesh essentially doing the opposite of the first. They basically turn to powder when doing this. I don't know if a HP would be considered frangible but I don't think they are considered that anymore. I could be wrong. As for where to get it I don't know but I would imagine that they're spendy. You might want to google "blendedmetal," I think that's what they were calling the second kind.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I found some info for you.

There are a variety of areas where frangible ammunition is extremely valuable. For example: Steel targets can be shot from much closer ranges than is the case with conventional ammunition; “shoot houses” can be constructed from lightweight armored materials, thus making a truly portable shoot house a reality; collateral damage to range structures and fixtures is therefore reduced.

Frangible ammunition can also be used in real-world missions when the tactical arena cannot afford collateral damage produced by misses, overpenetration, or ricochets (tactical arenas include nuclear facilities, airports, courtrooms, office buildings, petroleum and chemical facilities, corrections facilities, etc.). Frangible ammunition normally has a maximum effective range much shorter than conventional ammunition (up to 60% less) – this can translate into a tremendous advantage for outdoor ranges having reduced impact areas. However, I must emphasize that a frangible bullet performs like a FMJ on soft tissue which clearly makes it a lethal round. Finally, frangible ammunition is an ideal round to use on indoor ranges due to the elimination of ricochets and splash back.

www.policeandsecuritynews.com/janfeb01/frangibleammunition.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top