Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 8:47:56 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Just bought some Hornady Critical Defense in .45 acp. Has anybody done any ballistic tests with this stuff yet?

I'm wondering how the penetration and expansion is on it. I generally trust Hornady products a lot, but I'm worried it might be kind of gimmicky.

Thanks in advance to anybody who knows anything about it!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Every thing I have read on the critical defense line says it that it doesn't have the penetration required and wont shoot through  auto glass. HOWEVER I have read that in 380 form it performs very well  compared to standard .380 JHP rounds. For the bigger calibers like .45 the Hornady TAP FPD line is really good though people will scream its not on the recommended ammo list, my research has found while the bullet doesn't expand as much as talons or golddots (the difference is small) they are very accurate and penetrate the required 12inches and more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
wow, i feel so underwhelmed. i bought some for my 45, off  of the recomendation  of someone carrying it in a 380.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
wow, i feel so underwhelmed. i bought some for my 45, off  of the recomendation  of someone carrying it in a 380.

It is a good round for the 380  but not for a 45
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a good round for the 380  but not for a 45

I saw where you said that, its what prompted my comment.  Here I was thinking that this was the new bees knees, and you burst my little bubble. I already called my buddy and he just laughed and said well I knew it was a good round in my gun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I stick the the big three. Ranger T, Gold Dot, HST. all 230gr most of the time +p if I can get it.  I stick to the basic rounds that work well. Other choices are usually over priced and over hyped...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top