Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:03:02 PM EDT
I have been carrying either hornady XTP ammo or speer gold dot in 230 .45 ACP over the past couple of years but i keep hearing that this new federal stuff is way ahead of its time and the way to go now.

What i need to know is which one is considered better than the rest. I plan on buying a couple of boxes and trying it out at the range first of course.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, and Speer GD are the top. Basically you wont notice more performance with any particular one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Also don't forget the newer Ranger T Bonded.  All the Ranger T goodness with the addition of a bonded bullet.  I switched from HST to Ranger T Bonded.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also don't forget the newer Ranger T Bonded.  All the Ranger T goodness with the addition of a bonded bullet.  I switched from HST to Ranger T Bonded.

The Ranger - B is not a T series bullet.  It's a good bullet, but it is very different than a taloned T series.  It's Winchester's version of a Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I love Winchester's Ranger-T line, but have not been "wowed" by the Ranger Bonded performance in gel tests that I've seen (underwelmed actually).
If one wanted a bonded bullet, I'd stick with Speer's Gold Dot or Federal's Tactical Bonded line.

Fed Tac Bonded may not get as big as some HST published diameters, but it is more consistant through most anything.
HST, while good, is more erractic depending on the barrier.

Ranger-T, Gold Dot, Federal Bonded, and DPX are still the best out there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Either one will be fine.  Fed Tac Bonded is still my favorite bonded bullet, but its on the expensive side.  You cant go wrong with 230gr+p HST either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, and Speer GD are the top. Basically you wont notice more performance with any particular one.

First point nail it. Whichever you can get at a good price.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Tactical Bonded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top