Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2004 3:12:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Tony, that sounds very interesting. I wish I lived closer I would be very interested.
I have done a home gunsmithing course since I first submitted on this site and have worked on several guns....my own.
I hope others will be interested in your venture.....GOOD LUCK..
ROB.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I too wish I was a bit closer, as it sounds like it could be very useful.

However, I guess I'll just suffer along learning by doing on my own stuff
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You asked a number of questions.

I set one up a Garand course once.

1.  you have to supply a firearm to someone who doesn't have the model upon which you are working.
2.  you start with disassembly.  You take a part off and then put it back on.  The student then does it.  Then you take off the first part and a second part and put them back on.  Then the student does it.  By the time you get to the end, the student knows how to take the firearm apart and put it back together.

3.  then, you progress to describing a common problem.  If you can illustrate a failure or a broken or worn part, it is displayed.  Then the student recites how to correct the error.

Yes, I know courses wherein people actually construct a firearm.  The problem is that the machining equipment is limited and the skills vary greatly.

Most of the armorer's course would be directed at disassembly, assembly and understanding the sources of malfunction and which parts are associated.  Sure, you can demonstrate how to tune an extractor.  Then again, if each student is going to do it, you have to have a firearm for each student and it will be tuned to the specific firearm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top