Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2009 10:49:33 PM EDT
So the ejector fell out of my Springfield Armory 1911 and I want to put it back in.  Eventually I am getting it pinned because glued in ejectors suck.  But I just want a quick fix for right now.

My question is, what Loctite should I use?  I have read a sleeve retainer type.  There are a few.  Mostly I have looked at 620 which is high heat, 638 which is high strength, and 640 which is also apparently high strength.  Anyone know which one I should use?
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used 380 in the past with great success.  I'm not familiar with the ones you listed.  My friend uses 380 (Black Ma) in his shop for this purpose, and I had great difficulty removing one of these on a 1911 that I was peening the rails down on.  I had to resort to using a torch and destroying the stock ejector.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've used 380 in the past with great success.  I'm not familiar with the ones you listed.  My friend uses 380 (Black Ma) in his shop for this purpose, and I had great difficulty removing one of these on a 1911 that I was peening the rails down on.  I had to resort to using a torch and destroying the stock ejector.

A soldering gun is usually more than enough.

Eventually I am getting it pinned because glued in ejectors suck.

Is the frame drilled for the pin?

Drilling small diameter intersecting holes (especially were the already drilled hole is large and you are intersecting it at the edge) is not always easy.
Even if you fill the hole for the ejector the metal is unlikely to be the same hardness and will make the small drill bit wander.

Drilling from each side with a mill can work, but requires a careful setup.

Link Posted: 9/30/2009 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
No the frame is not drilled for the pin.  I am not planning on doing that either.  I would have a real professional drill the tiny cross pin.  I have a Dremel but I am often afraid to use it.

380 looks interesting but it does have a weakness to solvents the 6xx series doesn't seem to have.

I mention the 6xx series because they are the "green" Loctite I have heard mentioned when it comes to glued ejectors.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I never knew ejectors were glued in on Springfields ? Though I believe you and this explains a problem that Mandown was having with his Springfield posted last week in 1911 discussions. I still find my self saying i can't believe it's not pinned...

ETA: I wouldn't suggest anything less than a mill drill with digital scale for drilling hole.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Like I said 1911smith, I am not going to be doing the drilling.  There are more capable people out there than me and since this is not some hack gun I am cutting up I will leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

For the record a lot of Springers aren't pinned but glued with some kind of Loctite.  My Operator is one of them.  They did it on some and not others.  I have heard the Brazillian made guns are usually pinned.

eta I can't believe its not pinned and some people still say that is just as good as pinned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't waste your time with Loctite. Springfield custom shop charges $25 to properly drill the frame and pin the ejector. Call em up and ask for Deb, she will take care of yah.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 1911 thats not pinned..............ejector has been red loctited in place............I'm probably at 1k rounds and it has not budged............I check it after every range session.....................
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]
You think that's bad, Their pro model comes this way now. I wonder if the FBI guys are having problems with their guns?
Springfield claims that notching the front leg weakens it.         B.S. it's just a cost saving measure so they can make more money possibly at the expense of somebody's life.

I heard that Loctite makes a "Green" sleeve adhesive. I'm not sure of the number. But you should be able to find it where Loctite products are sold.
I'm pretty sure this is the stuff Springfield is using. Also make sure the hole and the leg of the ejector is totally degreased before loctiting it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Like I said 1911smith, I am not going to be doing the drilling.  There are more capable people out there than me and since this is not some hack gun I am cutting up I will leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

For the record a lot of Springers aren't pinned but glued with some kind of Loctite.  My Operator is one of them.  They did it on some and not others.  I have heard the Brazillian made guns are usually pinned.

eta I can't believe its not pinned and some people still say that is just as good as pinned.

You're kidding. They use glue to hold parts in?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a hideous move on SA's part. They may as well stop doing this now, because they will eventually when the outcry ensues. They need to admit the mistake and move on. I am lucky that my new-to-me  Mil Spec was completely assembled in Brazil, where they do not do this. It is pinned as it should be.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Loctite's new number for the retaining compound is 680... the 10ml bottle is part number 68015. It's good... not your average thread sealer. It is in fact green, and when they say it sets up in 20 minutes, don't believe 'em... it's more like it sets up in 4 minutes. I used it recently on a couple of dovetailed front sights and almost didn't get the first one where I wanted it in time... almost.

The label says 580 deg. F to get it loose...
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I ran an STI edge for 5,000 with nothing but gravity and the slide holding in the ejector.  The ejector can't go anywhere when the slide is on the gun.
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I never knew ejectors were glued in on Springfields ? Though I believe you and this explains a problem that Mandown was having with his Springfield posted last week in 1911 discussions. I still find my self saying i can't believe it's not pinned...

ETA: I wouldn't suggest anything less than a mill drill with digital scale for drilling hole.

Believe it. They have been doing it for years.

Link Posted: 11/17/2009 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My Loaded is pinned. My TRP is glued, it needs to got to the smith to be drilled and pinned. Should have been done at the factory. If I sent it to SA I would try to talk to the custom shop completely bypassing Deb.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#15]
ummmm, Deb is PART of the custom shop, she is who organizes the work, takes down customer info/work request for the work orders, etc, FOR the custom shop. I would suggest NOT trying to bypass her to "Talk directly to the custom shop".  
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 4:27:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ummmm, Deb is PART of the custom shop, she is who organizes the work, takes down customer info/work request for the work orders, etc, FOR the custom shop. I would suggest NOT trying to bypass her to "Talk directly to the custom shop".  

That's too bad because I will find someone else to talk to if I ever need SA to do anything for me. She refused to warranty a NIB "Loaded" that would not even load one single round. I fixed it myself. There has to be better people there. Will this stop me from buying another Springfield? No, but their warranty doesn't mean much to me. I will also only buy NM serial numbered pistols from them from now on.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
What exactly is it doing? I just bought a SA 1911 A1 in stainless. After a quick wipedown, I tried to chamber a round from the ONE mag it came with. Loaded with WWW 230 grain ball ammo, the gun WILL NOT feed. I tried easing the slide and the old slingshot. Will not chamber a round. I have no idea what is wrong.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I polished the throat and feed ramp. It was not done at the factory or at least didn't look that way. After fixing what they didn't want to it ran flawlessly. I then traded it on another TRP.
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Brazilian Mil-spec that is pinned and an American Mil-spec that is not.  SA uses green Loctite.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a hideous move on SA's part. They may as well stop doing this now, because they will eventually when the outcry ensues. They need to admit the mistake and move on. I am lucky that my new-to-me  Mil Spec was completely assembled in Brazil, where they do not do this. It is pinned as it should be.
What outcry?  They've been doing it for years.  It comes up fairly often on gun and 1911 forums.  And nothing has come of it.

THIS IS THE OUTCRY!

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Using glue is not saving money.  Not using anything, now that would be saving money!

I have always pinned ejectors in place, because it is traditional, not because it is necessary.

Where is the ejector going to go, anyway?
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#23]
It is a cost saving measure, but whether it is adequate or not is what's up for debate.  Personally, I think it's an issue of reliability.  While the ejector really can't go anywhere if it comes loose it can cause malfunctions.  My only issue with Loctite on the ejector legs is that it's not a threaded application and Loctite is not impact resistant.  That's hardly the ideal application for Loctite.

I have two Springfields, one pinned and one not.  I'm not going to run out and pin the one that's not, but I will inspect it regularly and at the first sign of looseness get it pinned.  Same with the non-staked grip screw bushings.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Using glue is not saving money.  Not using anything, now that would be saving money!

I have always pinned ejectors in place, because it is traditional, not because it is necessary.

Where is the ejector going to go, anyway?

A bottle of loctite is far cheaper than a precision steel pin and someone to notch the ejector leg correctly for a tight fit.

The savings mount if the frame is not even drilled for the pin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top