Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2009 10:56:49 AM EDT

I installed Tritium sights on my Glock and POI is now 4 inches low of POA at 7 yards (OEM sights were dead-on.)

Can I just file the front sight down and re-paint the top? Or is this best left to a gunsmith? I guess the question has more to with the Tritium than anything else - like what if I have to file enough off that it gets into the Tritium?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I installed Tritium sights on my Glock and POI is now 4 inches low of POA at 7 yards (OEM sights were dead-on.)

Can I just file the front sight down and re-paint the top? Or is this best left to a gunsmith? I guess the question has more to with the Tritium than anything else - like what if I have to file enough off that it gets into the Tritium?

Thanks

Then you'll have filed too much and that aint a good thing.

A 4" change in POI at 7 yards will require about .080" of front sight adjustment. Do you have that much room to file before getting into the tritium insert?

Try shooting at 15 yards and see if the sights are closer to zeroed.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Then you'll have filed too much
and that aint a good thing.

A 4" change in POI at 7 yards will require about .080" of front sight adjustment. Do you have that much room to file before getting into the tritium insert?

Try shooting at 15 yards and see if the sights are closer to zeroed.

Thanks.  I'll try 15 yards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
With same ammo load and benchrested, no way your POI is going to move even 1" upwards in 8 yards.

Do you have a .45 or 10mm caliber Glock we're talking about?

Reason I ask is that the front sight height is the same on all models but the 9, 40 and .357 sig glocks take a certain height rear sight, and the 10mm and .45 cal glocks take a different height rear sight.

This is signified by the 'hash' marks on the right side of the rear sights.  The 9/40/.357 will have a single horizontal hash mark, and the 10/45 will have 1 1/2 hash marks indicating it is higher, sometimes the hash marks on the night sights aren't as noticeable, but if you have your old rear sight, I'll bet you see the marks.

Don't file down the front sight.  You need a higher rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
With same ammo load and benchrested, no way your POI is going to move even 1" upwards in 8 yards.

Do you have a .45 or 10mm caliber Glock we're talking about?

Reason I ask is that the front sight height is the same on all models but the 9, 40 and .357 sig glocks take a certain height rear sight, and the 10mm and .45 cal glocks take a different height rear sight.

This is signified by the 'hash' marks on the right side of the rear sights.  The 9/40/.357 will have a single horizontal hash mark, and the 10/45 will have 1 1/2 hash marks indicating it is higher, sometimes the hash marks on the night sights aren't as noticeable, but if you have your old rear sight, I'll bet you see the marks.

Don't file down the front sight.  You need a higher rear sight.

This - I would bet that the wrong rear sight was installed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top