Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2002 7:54:30 PM EDT
I am hoping someone here can help me with this.

I have a Springfield Mil Spec that I purchased about 14 yrs. ago (or at least it's identical in appearance to todays Mil Spec). After cleaning this past week I noticed the hammer fall is significantly weaker. I can not see any movement in the firing pin when the hammer falls. I am using a light to illuminate the barrel interior to check for firing pin movement. I have checked the firing pin and spring. They do not have restricted movement. So I guess it's the hammer not falling with sufficient force.

I only do a basic field strip to clean the pistol. I have never tinkered with the internals personally. I did have an adjustable trigger put in when I got it. No problems until now. I have put less than a 1000 rounds through it. It looks NIB. What could be causing this?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:53:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Lock the slide back and push the firing pin forward, it should come out and retract. The way you do it, the pin goes in & out fast, you may not see it. May want to dribble some penetrating oil down the hammer strut and see if it frees up, same with firing pin if it sounds crunchy. You can drop a pencil down the barrel (eraser side in, centered over firing pin hole) and dry fire upwards in safe direction to see if firing pin is working too. If rust is the culprit, the springs should be changed as KK says, after getting the rust from the spring holes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for your responses.

anothergene - I had just cleaned the pistol. The firing pin and spring are clear of any crude or obstruction and moves appropriately. I did try the pencil trick. Holding the pistol upright and releasing the trigger the pencil travels about a foot upwards. I have since taken the pistol apart completely to inspect the parts. It all looks okay to my untrained eye. The pistol is like new in the box. Maybe 500-600 rounds through it. I have not fired it in about 10 years (I know that must be a crime somewhere). Apart from slight wear marks on the grip safety and slide rails the guns looks exactly like it did the day I bought it.

KurtKustom - I guess I need to take it to the range for a test firing. It just feels weak and sounds weak too. Maybe I have forgotten what the gun feels like since I haven't fired for so long. It may be like getting a new gun all over again. If it exhibits lite strikes on the primer I try a new hammer spring.

Thanks again guys...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top