Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2003 4:44:57 PM EDT
I just picked up a 1911 and the place I got it from said the Throat? (I didn't know pistols had throats) and Feed ramp need to be polished.
Why do some gunsmiths charge from 20.00-129.00 to polish the throat and such.  
Can It be done at home?  I'm pretty competent and can follow insturctions.
Any anyone help?????
Ric
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It would only be needed if you intend to shoot wadcutters and hollowpoint ammo. Round ball should be fine. Try your gun with the ammo you want to shoot first.

Then take your barrel to a gun shop and compare the chamber area to a Colt Gold Cup. You will see the difference, then take a dremel to the thing and make it look like the Gold Cup. Only thing is take too much and your cases blow out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you,
The only thing I want to shoot from it is hard ball.
Thank you for your help.
Ric
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Should be good to go for hardball.  Polish using a softbrush and dremel tool with rouge or finest grit, maybe even toothpaste.  Just a little to smooth the ramp surfaces.  Polish the surfaces parallel to the bullet travel path.  Perpendicular to barrel or frame.  Sometimes people polish the other way because the brushes fit better but that can leave ridges or bumps that might hang up a bullet, and you want to smooth any ridges or bumps.  Don't try to take any metal just shine it up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't try to take any metal just shine it up.

This really needs to be stressed for all do-it-yourselfers out there. When some people hear the word/name Dremel they immediately start grinding the snot out of everything. So once again, like PaDanby said - just shine it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you very much for the info.  I hope to see the .45 in the next few weeks
Ric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top