Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 10:31:01 AM EDT
The feed ramp on my Kimber barrel is not as smooth as I feel it should be, in fact there are a few 'striations' that run across the ramp giving it a 'rough' look, these are not very deep, actually these are more a visual blemish than anything.

But I've had a few failure to feed occurrences and am looking to minimize any potential of this before I move on to other possible causes.

I know polishing the feed ramp should be the easiest thing to do, and I have a Dremel with all the little cool gizmos and gadgets plus the polishing compound, but have never done it.

Would any one care to talk me through it? I'm not a total marroon, in fact I'm quite capable of many things, my usual tools in trade are much larger, welders, grinders etc.

I've just never woked with something quite as 'small'  before and would rather not muck it up.

As a side note the polishing compound has turned to a solid state sort of like very hard wax, does this need to be re-constituted? If so with what, oil, water or some thing else?

Also which is the proper gizmo for applying the paste, and which one to buff???

Any help would be appreciated........

Thanks, Azman-1.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some small felt wheels that usually come with a Dremel tool.  That hard polish is supposed to be hard, and you just run the felt wheel through it.

Polishing will make it smooth and shiny, but will not remove ridges or striations very easily.  For that, you might try using Cratex abrasive rods from Brownells.  The coarse ones will work, and then you can follow with polish.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There are some small felt wheels that usually come with a Dremel tool.  That hard polish is supposed to be hard, and you just run the felt wheel through it.

Polishing will make it smooth and shiny, but will not remove ridges or striations very easily.  For that, you might try using Cratex abrasive rods from Brownells.  The coarse ones will work, and then you can follow with polish.  

Thanks hobbs, yeah I have a couple of those felt wheels, I figured they would be good for the polishing but you say they are good to apply the polish too?, so what just run the wheel against the polish to pick it up, then against the ramp to lay it down?

Then a clean one to buff it??? I'll try this sequence first, I don't imagine I will muck it up too bad!!!

Thanks for the reply......
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
$70 bucks or so, if you buy yourself a used Dremel.

I think Home Depot has some for that price......DIY!

SAve a few bucks
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I polish the feedramps on all my carry guns. I have had 100% luck with just sticking the felt wheel on the polishing compound and polishing the ramp with it. It's worked so well that I was able to get an old Sistema Colt 1911 to reliably feed any HP ammo through it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I just got done, it went well!!! The feed ramp on the frame and the lip (ramp) on the barrel are shining like mirrors now. I'll take it out tomorrow and try it with some semi-wadcutters and see if they still hang up.

If that doesn't work I'll try some new Mags, or off to the 'Smith......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top