Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 4:56:48 PM EDT
I just got a used 1911 to try and learn how to work on them.  I have fired this 1911 and had no problems.  I disassembled it for the third time to day and now I am having problems.

If the barrel link is worn out will it cause the slide to lock up when completely closed?

I have to hit the barrel with the palm of my hand to brake it free.

Also, the slide stop will FALL out, when I am disassembling the pistol.  It has been some time since I have had a 1911 but this does not seam right.

Pleas help!

Thank You
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the slidestop even gaing thru the barrel link?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I think it is.   I have tryed about 50 times and then I decided to ask hear.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Since the pistol ran before, and not after you pulled it apart, my guess is that you missed the barrel link hole with the slide stop.  Pull the slide stop back out and pull the side.  Cam the link forward againt the barrel and reinstall the slide.  Now watch threw the slide stop hole and get the link hole to line up the the slide stop hole and insert the stop.  

Also, the tube that runs acrossed from the slide stop to the thumb safety should have a detent at both ends (spring in the middle), With the smaller detent at the slide stop end.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya I looked threw the slide and lined everything up.  It is not my first 1911 but It has been about 7 years since I have owned one.  I did field strip it before I went to the range to clean it and every thing went back together just fine.

I do not know what is going on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Does this pistol have one of the old prong NM barrel bushings?  If so, pull it to make sure that one of them hasn't cracked.

If this a series 80, then check the firing pin safety (cam and plunger) to make sure it's not stuck/causing the bind.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The barrel link was so worn out that It was moving out of the way every time I was trying to reassemble the pistol.  I got a new one and It goes together perfect every time.

How do you determine the proper size barrel link.

I thought I could go to the gun store and just compare sises, the smith had to mesheur and trial fit it until he found the best fitting (#3 Wilson)

The old one was wallowed out and .0011?  that decimal may not be right for some reason I am drawling a blank as far as what 11 thousandths should be.

Well It is fixed.

The mag, well I puled it apart and reassembled it and now I can get 7 in there, instead of just 5?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The barrel link was so worn out that It was moving out of the way every time I was trying to reassemble the pistol.

This was the first thing that I told you to check for, and after a few hundred rounds, the new link will swing just as freely as the old one.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I know I know.  It was becoming a big pain to reassemble the pistol.  No mater how hard I tried, it seamed like it could not be dune.  Now I can do it with my eyes closed.

Well this 1911 is to help me learn.

Thank you all.  I am sher that I will have more questions.  I will try to listen better and not take the simple way out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top