Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2020 3:06:35 PM EDT
While reassembling my duo the two clips on the spring slid off and the slide closed. It’s now locked up crazy tight.

Anyone had this happen or know how to get it open?

On any 1911 I’ve had a slip up i can just overpower it and rack the slide and then take it back apart.

The sti slide won’t budge more than 1/16”.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
@ken_mays.   That guy knows STI.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Which clips are you talking about?   Something on the recoil guide rod?  The old Recoil Master has a plastic spacer that you use to block it open.  The newer Staccatos use the Dawson rod with a springloaded lever inset into the rod.

At what point in the process did this happen?   If the slide stop has not been inserted yet, you should still be able to remove the slide.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah it was a symphony of errors on my part. The two half clips for the guide rod. They have not sent the new guide rod that doesn’t require the tool yet. And the slide stop is in.

It’s all bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@ken_mays.   That guy knows STI.
View Quote

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
@ken_mays

Basically during reassembly I lost my grip on the slide while trying to set the slide lock lever in place.  I was able to get it set, but not before the slide went forward and the guide ride tool became dislodged.  The slide and frame are flush, and it function tests fine, but the slide has only 1/4 inch of travel rearward before meeting resistance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm having a hard time imagining what's out of position.   The guide rod may be misaligned somehow.  Seems like your only option at this point is to shake, rattle, invert and thump the thing until you can pull the slide back enough to get the guide rod properly seated.  

Taking a photo of the muzzle area might prove helpful.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Ken thanks for hitting this.   OP is it possible you have any foreign object stuck in there?   It sounds like you have the slide on completely, slide stop in but can’t move the slide more than a bit?

And the hammer/trigger work?

Was there some sort of recoil buffer added?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
No buffer added. It was what I’ve had happen with a 1911 in the past. The barrel link got pushed back by the spring and locked up. “Had to” bust the slide stop to get it out. At least i know what to avoid and will have the new style recoil spring for next time.

Thanks again guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top