Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 5:55:35 PM EDT
I need to outsource some work on my SA 1911 finally, there are only two things I havent dont to the pistol yet, dehorn it and open up the ejection port.  Ill do the dehorn on my own, but I ned to send my slide back to the mainland to get the ejection port opened up from the mil spec size.  Any suggestions on smiths who have decent prices and turn around times for just a lowering and flaring?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I need to outsource some work on my SA 1911 finally, there are only two things I havent dont to the pistol yet, dehorn it and open up the ejection port.  Ill do the dehorn on my own, but I ned to send my slide back to the mainland to get the ejection port opened up from the mil spec size.  Any suggestions on smiths who have decent prices and turn around times for just a lowering and flaring?

Things to keep in mind:

Some smiths will do it by hand, while others will do it on a mill.  Also, is it a blued or stainless gun?  I take it that it's a Springfield WWII model?  Anyway, most smiths around here charge $40 - $50 for a lower and flare.  If it's a carbon steel gun, it's really up to you if you want the slide refinished or just cold blued.  The first gun I ever had this done to was cold blued, and it was constantly wearing off.  If it's a carbon steel gun, I would getting everything possible done, like the dehorn, before shipping the whole gun off for a lower and flare and also a refinish.  

As for recommendations on smiths, take your pic.  It's a basic job, so find someone who can do the work in a reasonable amount of time.  You might look at the American Handgunner Club 100 or check the American Pistolsmith's Guild website.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I found a smith here yesterday that can do the work, Ill ask about the refinishing.  Id like it to be the same finish as factory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top