Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2002 9:31:12 AM EDT
,,, or how one man's gun is another ones fixer-upper!

I recently bought a Commander style custom .45ACP built on a Caspian frame and slide, that a friend of mine took in on a trade for a Glock.  The pistol is PURTY (see below)

and I don't have a Commander, so I had to have it. (Gunnarea)

Thinking I got a good bargain, I took the pistol with me on  the road, hoping I'd have time to stop and go shooting somewhere.  Well playing around with it in my hotel room, it locked up on me several times, with the safety detent riding up over the outside of the safety, making the weapon inoperable, without dicking with it.  My detent tube had come loose, and was causing a problem, rendering the pistol to "never trust your life to this POS" status.  It wasn't through with me yet!  Next, I found it impossible to release the slide by pulling rearward.  Turns out there was a shock buffer in the way, as well as a too long locking lug, and a bent plug.

Thanks to Kurt for straightening out the mess for me, and helping me keep what's left of my sanity.  He shortened the lug, for my and installed a new detent tube (I had him solder that bugger, so I'd never have to deal with that malfunction again.  

So beware of a *Bargain*, and especially serial #1, when there is no serial #2 , and have a good gunsmith close by so you don't throw the gun against the garage wall and shoot it!

Thanks Kurt!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
All in all though, it sure is a purty gun
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now it's WORKING, and next up is throating for those nasty black mambas. Just because it's custom doesn't mean it's Kustom; Kurt Kombat! My 10 will be perfekt.

Working is always better!

Now I find the rear Bomar is slightly loose, also. :(

It would be nice to shoot it a few (hundred) rounds tomorrow, but Sunday is major rifle sight-in day for me at Waldo (Speed-trap central) with New-ARguy, Cigardad, and an un-named lawyer.  Gonna give the .280 beauty a tryout!

Thanks again, and it will be back for a visit with you real soon!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top