Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 3:41:24 PM EDT
I'm having trouble removing an aftermarket night sight from a Glock 30.  It's pressed in and doesn't seem to want to budge.   I tried pinching the flanges inward, and they wouldn't move.  The edges just chipped and the pliers slipped off.  No amount of effort with a punch and mallet had any effect either.

Any suggestions before I try drilling or the Dremel?  Or do I just need to swing my purse harder?

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are not worried about having the sight after you remove it, then I might tape off the top of the slide around the sight and then use a small adjustable wrench tightened down on the front sight post and rock it from side to side.  This would allow you use the base of the sight as a lever to pop out the tenon on of the slide.  Depending on how much force you have to use this may bend or break the sight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:28:13 AM EDT
[#2]
A pair of pliers and pull
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#3]
OP those Trijicon sights were pressed on really good on those Glocks.  What has worked in the past for me is this:

Use a cutting punch and a hammer to cut off the edges of the lips of the sight on the inside of the slide.  Hit it from a few sides.  The sights metal is much softer than the slides so as long as you go easy it shouldn't damage your slide.

Once you think you're there, take a punch and knock the sight out the top.  You may have to clean up the hole afterwards before installing the XS sight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP those Trijicon sights were pressed on really good on those Glocks.  What has worked in the past for me is this:

Use a cutting punch and a hammer to cut off the edges of the lips of the sight on the inside of the slide.  Hit it from a few sides.  The sights metal is much softer than the slides so as long as you go easy it shouldn't damage your slide.

Once you think you're there, take a punch and knock the sight out the top.  You may have to clean up the hole afterwards before installing the XS sight.
View Quote

Just hit it harder; honestly, the slide is harder than those little flanges, and when something decides to 'give', it will be the skirt of the sight.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I did hit it harder.  The sight still didn't move, and the punch got stuck in the cavity.  I broke the punch trying to free it from the sight.  I tried pinching the tenon flanges inward again, and after much effort one side broke off.  It didn't bend at all, just snapped.  It wasn't enough that the sight loosened any, though.  I finally used the Dremel with a cone-shaped grinding stone to remove enough material so that I could pull the sight off with locking pliers.

The steel used in the sight seemed strangely hard and brittle.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
drill a hole a little larger than the front sight on a 2x4 to lay the slide on. the hole will recive the sight and the 2x4 will support the slide.  put 1/16 punch in hole and  and hit hard. it should pop right out
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did hit it harder.  The sight still didn't move, and the punch got stuck in the cavity.  I broke the punch trying to free it from the sight.  I tried pinching the tenon flanges inward again, and after much effort one side broke off.  It didn't bend at all, just snapped.  It wasn't enough that the sight loosened any, though.  I finally used the Dremel with a cone-shaped grinding stone to remove enough material so that I could pull the sight off with locking pliers.

The steel used in the sight seemed strangely hard and brittle.

View Quote

Weird. Every one I've ever done just popped off, although some took a second swat, at most.

If you look at the amount of material on those skirts, it seems unlikely they were the issue; I wonder if the sight body itself was really tight in the slide?

Glad you got it worked out, regardless.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Pinch the sight in a vice.  Lift up on the slide.

Done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top