Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 5:41:30 PM EDT
Was at range today, I had a missfeed. Cleared weapon and could not get the slide to forward in place. Messed it for a while.  Came home to realize I had lost firing pin stop. So question is. What did i do?  What may have caused it?  Common occurance?

I know what caused missfeed. Crappy Lawman ammo that my colt didnt like right out of the box. It is model 80 series thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it cracked and fell out, At least the FP safety kept you from losing any other parts. It does happen occasionally but it's not really common.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Another possibility is the firing pin spring is getting weak and/or the firing pin stop is a very loose fit in the slide.

If so, under recoil a loose FP stop can just drop out of the slot in the slide.
The "fix" is to buy and install an over-size FP stop.
This should be a snug, but not too tight fit in the slide.

Back in the days when special over-size parts were not available, Jeff Cooper used to recommend installing a small screw in the stop that entered a small hole in the slide to lock it in place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top