Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2002 3:03:31 PM EDT
First I cant figure out how to remove the mag release, I have broken one small screwdriver already and decided to quit before really screwing something up.

Secon I just installed a beaver safety and the gun will elease the hammer from the "half cocked" position.

I have a Wilsons combat set of hammer and sear coming as well as a ambi safety. The gun is a new Springfield MilSpec.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
HighlandMac, as to removing the Mag release....
Step 1 press in the mag release and hold.

Step 2 insert small screwdriver and turn screw to the left 1/4 turn

Step three remove Mag release...

As to the Grip safety and hammer and sear, I think I'll leave that to Kurt. Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Kurt, I ground down the back part of the frame with the jig from Smith and Alexander. The beavertail fits perfect, it will not let the hammer drop if the safety is not depressed. When I partially pull the hammer back off the firing pin it locks as it is supposed to and when released it stays off the firing pin. In the position just off the firing pin (1/32" or so) when I pull the trigger with the safety depressed it will let the hammer fall. It did not do this with the factory piece of crap grip safety. Any ideas?

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Kurt, if the tail is the non exposed part that sticks into the frame, no I have not done anything to it and when the grip safety is not depressed it will not let the hammer fall from any position. If the grip safety is depressed it will drop the hammer at any position. The hammer does not really have a "half cocked" position. If it is pulled off the firing pin it will hold about 1/16 - 1/32" off the pin. Other than that the hammer has to go all the way back to lock.

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Kurt you still here?

OK, I will admit it with a wife and two kids I have no life anymore and can post on saturday night at any given time!

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this a series 80 Colt by any chance?

Ross
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope a brand new Springfield MilSpec 1911A1.

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh well, I can't help you there then.  My series 80 (the one with the firing pin safety) did the exact same thing, but they all do.  The hammer would rest in "half cock" just above the firing pin, and if you pulled the trigger with the grip safety in, the hammer would go forward.  Even their little .380 GM will do it.  It's normal on a Colt series 80.

I was hoping maybe you hadn't really noticed it before with the old safety and now do.  The good news would have been that all was well.  The bad news is that I can't help you squat as I have no clue about the Springfiled product.  Sorry.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#11]
OK thanks Kurt! I will have the new Wilson Combat parts tommorow and I ll let you know how it all goes together!!

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Install the tirgger/sear/disconnect/leaf spring to hold things together, slide the mainspring housing into place and pin it hold all together, DO NOT INSTALL GRIP SAFETY AT THIS TIME. Pull the hammer back to the "full cock" position, and  fit the thumb safety first, as you can see inside where the "nub" rolls up behind to block sear movement. Then remove the parts and leave the trigger in frame. Fit the tail length to block the trigger bow from moving unless the grip safety is held to tilt the tail down from behind the trigger bow. I have my 38 Super race gun "pinned" so the grip safety is held as if pistol was gripped at all times.
Try not to let the hammer drop to half-cock, as it will damage the sear over time if allowed to do this. DO NOT drop the slide on an empty chamber either, manually ease it down, will supposedly damage the sear/hammer surface also, don't know if true, but I do not do this, as I see others cringe and have a fit if a novice does this when looking at a 1911 or do it to their own not knowing any better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top