Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 11:50:31 AM EDT
I know this has been covered in various forms, but through my searches, no one has answered my question completely. I'm building a HP basically frame up and I want to know what I should use as a base gun.
I don't care about resale, internal parts, where it ws made, etc. I just want the best frame/slide I can get for the best price. Iwould prefer not to have the firing pin safety if it could be helped. This gun is going to be heavily customized and I realy don't want to distroy an older "real" HP if I can help it. I'm pretty sure I should stay away from the Argies due to imadequite hardness, but how about the PJK, CD, Inglis, etc.?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I really haven't heard that much "verifiable" info on the Argentine pistols having improper hardness.
These were originally made under Browning supervision and Browning specs, and I doubt they'd alter the specs for no good reason.  
It doesn't cost any more to do the heat treating right than to do it wrong, so there is no cost savings in altering the specs.

The PJK, and the Inglis should be good, and in the last couple of months, the American Rifleman had a write up on a new HP clone being offered here.  The review said the gun had a rough trigger pull, but everything else look good.  I think this one is from the Philippines.

As for "destroying" an older Browning, there are millions of these around and a good many get customized, so why not get the best.  Shop around for a good used, but not abused model and have the best.  There are fewer Inglis-made models than there are Browning.

The other clones like the PJK MAY not have 100% parts interchangeability, which could be a problem if you need to replace something, now or later.

If you're going to spend any real money on a custom pistol, it might not be smart to use a cheap clone of unknown quality as the base.

So, unless you use a genuine Browning or Inglis, it's going to be somewhat of a crap shoot.

Other than the Browning or Inglis, I'd almost certainly take the PJK, with the provision that parts DO NOT 100% interchange, and this may be a real problem when it comes to buying custom parts.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I'd heard a lot of differing opinions about what to get and or stay away from but it seems to be consensus that the PJK is the way to go for aftermarket although there dosen't seem to be a great abundance of info available on the new Charles Daly HP.
One other route that I may look at is converting a .40 browning to 9mm to better handle the +P loads. I'm nstill not 100% so I think I'm just going to take my time and keep the options open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top