Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2009 6:23:01 PM EDT
I can't find any info on this gun except on budsgunshop.com.  They say the gun is DA, but it sure seems to me like it's SAO.  Am I missing something?  The gun has no manual safety which most of my SAO's have.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at one briefly at a shop in Leesburg. It seemed like a full size with a threadded barrel .Comes with a thread protector and three mags and a black rear sight. Priced as a Pro. I handled them side by side and ordered a Pro. It may be a good host, If you like the M&P 9.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It is striker fired, like a Glock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The origin of the S&W M&P series can be traced back to reverse engineering a Glock 17 to a pistol marketed as the Sigma.  That has evolved to the M&P series which I am forced to admit is a vast improvement over the original Sigma series.

Glock sued and won a suit against S&W.  It was an easy win... a slam dunk actually, as the Glock barrel could be put into the S&W Sigma and function.  The early aftermarket barrels were sold with the same barrel fitting the Glock 17 and the S&W Sigma.  The major difference was the trigger.  The S&W Sigma had a funky trigger that pivoted in the middle.  Those early S&W Sigma triggers were hideous!  Anyway... Glock licensed to S&W the designs they stole on the condition they received royalties on each pistol built.

This this was not the first time S&W got their hand caught in the stolen patent cooking jar.  S&W used to make a pistol with a frame mounted decocker lever like the SIG Sauer.  That decocker may be best known on the 10mm S&W 1076 which was produced for the FBI HRT and such specialized local teams within the FBI.  The Kansas City Missouri Police was one of their primary big customers on the original design in .40 S&W.  The powers that be within the KCPD basically was in love with S&W products and would not purchase anything but S&W pistols.  They bought a ton of the S&W pistols with the frame mounted decocker as the only authorized duty pistol.  The law suit brought by SIG was not as cordial as the one with Glock.  SIG was only happy with the condition that S&W would never be able to produce a frame decocker.  The KCMO PD stuck with not having a supplier that could continue to provide frame mounted decocker S&W pistols switched to...

...the S&W Sigma.  That was not a shock to those of us who knew that only a S&W pistol had a chance to contract with the KCPD.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Double Action (that seems like SAO), no manual safety, Glock clone, etc.

Seems a little more dangerous to carry than a SAO with manual safety and/or decocker or a true DA gun with a heavy trigger.

Link Posted: 10/14/2009 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seems a little more dangerous to carry than a SAO with manual safety and/or decocker or a true DA gun with a heavy trigger.

Danger is relative to the skill of the shooter and how well that person pays attention to weapons safety rules.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The origin of the S&W M&P series can be traced back to reverse engineering a Glock 17 to a pistol marketed as the Sigma.  .

Just so we are completely clear:

The M&P is not a revamped S&W Sigma. In fact, according to S&W's Joe Bergeron, there is not a single interchangeable part between the two pistols.

Shooting Times
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Danger is relative to the skill of the shooter and how well that person pays attention to weapons safety rules.

No kidding...

I mean DA/SA SIGS have no safety, and while people have "Glock leg" I'm sure there are a far higher # of people without it than with.

The M&P is fine and the "Spec Ops" model really only seems to be marketing for the threaded barrel. Outside of that I dont think there's anything different between a reg M&P9.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I started this thread.

I do not own a glock and cannot comment on that.

My expectation was that this gun (shown as a DA) would have a heavier trigger.  I understand the use of a proper holster and proper handling is the answer, I just expected a heavier trigger.

For instance, the trigger pull on a Ruger LCP or even a revolver makes it a reasonable weapon to drop in your pocket from a safety point of view.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I would consider no handgun to be safe from a "drop in pocket" without a holster point of view - for one thing, there is no guarantee that the weapon will be at the proper angle for a draw. But beyond that, foreign objects, falls, etc - no thanks.

If you want a heavier trigger pull, you might be able to special order Massachusetts compliant parts installed - but again, if you rely on a heavier trigger pull to save you from an ND, you'll probably end up having an ND anyway.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#10]
By the way, I ordered my pocket holster just before posting that an LCP could be dropped in the pocket.  I agree on all points - pocket debris, trigger access, draw position.  In fact, my experience is that the LCP falls into a very bad position if dropped it the pocket.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would consider no handgun to be safe from a "drop in pocket" without a holster-

+1000
the trigger should always be covered by some sort of holster
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top