Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:14:14 PM EDT
Just got a brand new S&W M&P 9 mm Compact.  First trip to the range yielded three failures to eject in 60 rounds.  

Anyone else had this problem?  Will it break in or do I need to have it looked at?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It wouldn't hurt if you shared with the class what kind of ammo you were using.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
First, did you lube it per the instructions and what ammo are you using.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Used Winchester white box FMJ.
Lubed lightly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you limp-wristing it perhaps?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you limp-wristing it perhaps?

Don't think so.  I've been shooting pistols for years and all of my other guns cycle fine (shot my S&W 6906 side by side with the new M&P 9c, using the same ammo, and the 6906 ran flawlessly).
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the same problem with the same ammo.I dont shoot wwb any more. All others I have put through it are fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
i grabbed this off berettaforum.com

LOS ANGELES SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT BROADCAST ANNOUNCEMENT

TRAINING BUREAU WEAPONS TRAINING

TO: ALL SWORN PERSONNEL

SUBJECT: OFFICER SAFETY ALERT - SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOLS

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS HAVE FORCED A DEPARTMENTAL RE-EVALUATION OF THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL AS AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL HANDGUN FOR SWORN PERSONNEL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL SIZE PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL ON-DUTY PISTOL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P COMPACT PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL OFF-DUTY PISTOL.

SINCE FIRST APPROVAL AS AN OPTIONAL PISTOL ON DECEMBER 10, 2008, THE FULL-SIZED AND/OR COMPACT VERSIONS OF THE 9MM SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOL HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED BY 49 SWORN PERSONNEL ON AND OFF DUTY. ONE OF THESE PISTOLS WAS DELIVERED NEW WITH AN IMPROPERLY MACHINED BARREL THAT WOULD NOT EJECT SPENT CARTRIDGE CASINGS. ANOTHER OF THESE PISTOLS EXPERIENCED A BARREL FAILURE IN MID-APRIL OF THIS YEAR. AFTER FIRING LESS THAN 10,000 ROUNDS OF TRAINING AMMUNITION. THIS PISTOL BARREL BROKE INTO TWO PIECES JUST AHEAD OF THE FIRING CHAMBER.

ADDITIONALLY, A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF DEPUTY ACADEMY CLASS #377 RECRUITS WITH ISSUED NEW SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL-SIZE PISTOLS HAVE EXPERIENCED PHASE-2 PISTOL MALFUNCTIONS, CAUSED BY SPENT CASINGS FAILING TO EXTRACT FROM BARREL CHAMBERS, DURING THE PAST TWO WEEKS OF TRAINING. CLASS #377 RECRUITS WILL BE ISSUED BERETTA 92FS PISTOLS ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 29, 2009, AND THEIR M&P PISTOLS REMOVED FROM SERVICE.

PERSONNEL SAFETY AND RELIABLE EQUIPMENT REMAIN OUR PRIMARY CONCERNS.

DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS TO LIEUTENANT MICHAEL C. REYNOLDS [email protected] OR SERGEANT DAVID NELL [email protected] AT THE B.C. RANGE.

LEROY D. BACA, SHERIFF KBL/SNDG
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My Compact 9mm will shoot anything I put into it.  My .40 on the other hand, the slide stays open even before I've emptied the magazine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Went to the range and shot some 124 grain American Eagle ammo with the same results.  Five failures to eject out of 50 rounds.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Got the gun back from S&W.  100 rounds of WWB withou a hitch.  Works great now!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Excellent.

I have a new M&P 9 and have had three FTE with WWB. All other ammo (Speer Gold Dot, American Eagle) ran fine.

It's good to know S&W took good care of you.

How long did the repairs take?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
My M&P9 kept jamming for 60 rounds or so.  After that I put a few mags through it and not one jam.  I'll have to put some more through it to know for sure though.

Edit:  This was with Remington UMC ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long did the repairs take?

S&W had the gun for about two weeks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Nevermind. I should of read the whole thread first. Already fixed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top