Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2009 6:12:55 PM EDT
I know that the owner's manual says not to use 9mm +p+, but has anyone used it in this gun before?  I know the increased pressure can lead to premature wear of certain parts but I don't plan using that ammo for practice.  I am just planning on putting a mag through the gun to see how it functions and then using it for a carry load.  Just thought I would see if anyone else has tried it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Strange you asked that. I called Smith today with the same question. After finally getting a human on the phone. They said DO NOT put the +P+ in the pistol. After that call, I then called Glock and asked same question. They said shoot it all day in the Glock and it will not have any issues. I have both pistols and wanted to carry same Winchester ammo. Still love the 9c just wont put the +P+ in it. I would think it would hold up just fine, but I am not taking the chance with my 9c. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Why? The ballistic advantages are tiny and the pressures are much higher.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting that a modern 9mm auto won't take +p+ also given that the same platform is also available in .357 SIG. Maybe S&W is just trying to be careful since +p+ isn't an official spec. Peculiar since +p+ Winchester Rangers are some of the most popular 9mm defensive rounds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I asked a smith rep one day about +p+ 38 in a 357 revolver and he responded that because +p+ and +p is not a sami spec they suggested that you do not use it in any smith products,  I personally don't see a problem using +p+ in any modern gun
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I was surprised that my manual states no +p+. But I don't really care that much, because it is a high pressure round that doesn't give much added value.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Strange you asked that. I called Smith today with the same question. After finally getting a human on the phone. They said DO NOT put the +P+ in the pistol. After that call, I then called Glock and asked same question. They said shoot it all day in the Glock and it will not have any issues. I have both pistols and wanted to carry same Winchester ammo. Still love the 9c just wont put the +P+ in it. I would think it would hold up just fine, but I am not taking the chance with my 9c. Hope this helps.

I have a G19 that will shoot +P+ all day with no problems.  Too bad the M&P 9 won't be able to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why? The ballistic advantages are tiny and the pressures are much higher.

I have a small stockpile of it in my closet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like more CYA from them than anything.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly. Pressure could in theory vary wildly in various "+P+" rounds since it isn't an actual standard. One might be 10% over pressure, the other might be 20% or some such. I would highly doubt an M&P firing some +P+ ammo from a reputable manufacturer is going to blow up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#10]
It seems unwise for any manufacturer to recommend  +P+ ammo regardless of how strong their pistol is.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Pressure could in theory vary wildly in various "+P+" rounds since it isn't an actual standard. One might be 10% over pressure, the other might be 20% or some such. I would highly doubt an M&P firing some +P+ ammo from a reputable manufacturer is going to blow up.

This.

Smith and Wesson doesn't list any gun that I know of supporting the +p+ round. Since it isn't a standard they don't want to give the ok for it. Springfield just leaves questions of ammo out of the manual. Glock on says don't use reloads. Most companies don't put it in writing that it is ok. Smith just went the extra step of covering there ass by saying they don't support it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
So the consensus is that shooting Winchester Ranger +P+ loads out of an M&P should be safe although not supported by S&W?
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So the consensus is that shooting Winchester Ranger +P+ loads out of an M&P should be safe although not supported by S&W?

Yes.

There's no standard for +P+.  It'd be stupid to say it's supported as it could mean anything.  There might be the "common" +P+ and, for that, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Exactly right.

there is some +p+ that is intended for sub-guns only.  It apparently is too hot fo pistols.  Again, +p+ is not a standard.  so there is +p+ and there is + P!!+.  I dont blame S&W for not recommending it.  

I own a Glock and an M&P.  They are both fine firearms.  Dont let the "approval" of this ammo by glock steer your decision.  

don
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm working on finishing off what's left of a case of old, old +P+ Hydra-Shoks through my M&P. Been using them as range ammo, intersprersed with my reloads. The gun hasn't hiccuped once on any of it, and no signs of any problems on the frame of slide rails.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm working on finishing off what's left of a case of old, old +P+ Hydra-Shoks through my M&P. Been using them as range ammo, intersprersed with my reloads. The gun hasn't hiccuped once on any of it, and no signs of any problems on the frame of slide rails.

Thanks.  I went through a mag of Federal 124g +P+ and didn't encounter any issues.  I think I will keep it loaded with the +P+ for a defensive load and use the regular stuff for practice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Would someone please email them from a .mil address and ask them if the M&P can handle military ball? There would be our answer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Would someone please email them from a .mil address and ask them if the M&P can handle military ball? There would be our answer.

Well Iraq is issuing M&P 9mm handguns to its military and security forces. Afghanistan is using the SW9VE.

These pistols were bought by the US military to be issues in these countries(at least a good amount of orders were). Figure they would be issuing them the same nato ammo that everyone else is using.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#19]
If I remember correctly S&W submitted the 5906 series of pistols in the military trials where the Beretta M9 was adopted.  I don't recall the S&W having any issues during these test.  Supposedly the only reason Beretta finally won was on the Sales pitch and offer to build a factory in Maryland (not that Politics had anything to do with it ).  I think S&W has spent to much time dealing with Attorneys to say you can shoot +P+ ammo in their guns even though a lot of PD's used this ammo in the 9 MM.  If your gun fails and S&W feels it was because of unauthorized ammo they don't have as much liability or warranty concerns.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
As said by others, 9mm+P+ has no SAAMI standard, it could be maxing out at a reasonable 40k psi or a very adventurous 60k psi.  All that is know is it is off the SAAMI charts.  However, a cartridge like Winchesters Ranger 127gr +P+, I would shoot without reservation.  The M&P was supposedly designed around the 40SW cartridge from the start.  It should have plenty of margin for safety for reasonable +P+ 9mm loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top