Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2003 7:33:15 PM EDT
I came across an guy selling an older S&W Model 41 it had two features I had never seen before. First if you loosened a set screw on the front sight blade the entire site rib could be extened.You could extend it out several inches giving you a much longer sight radius than a normal 5" barrel would have.Second it had a cocking indicator showing when the action was cocked and ready to fire. Not showing wheter a round is chambered. There was no pitting rust the blueing look good over all. What would something like this be worth? hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a new one on me. I can't really help with the price except to say that 41s have been selling for extremely high prices for several years. And it really is a great target gun, real nail driver but somewhat finicky on ammo choices.

Which barrel and slide does it have?
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel length is a 5.5. What ever the shorter of the two lengths that S&W makes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Without the serial number I can't give you an age. However the EFS 5.5" barrels sell alone for ~$500-$600 and an early 41 in 95-98% condition will sell for $750-$1200 depending on condition and accessories. Original box and contents would drive it to the high end of that range, just the gun would be the low end.

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid in the low $700s when I bought mine last year. They ain't cheap.

As for the extending front sight, I've seen this on a few models. IIRC, bullseye shooters sometimes used these type sights. I don't know exactly that these sights add much, if anything, to the gun's value.

All 41s, I thought, have a loaded chamber indicator. I could be wrong.

They're wonderful guns, the best .22s ever made, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
>>All 41s, I thought, have a loaded chamber indicator. I could be wrong.<<

Many of the "early" models did, but they were discontinued at some point. Oddly enough, some folks removed the cocking indicator feature, for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
A little off topic, but I have a Model 41 and have tried just about every round out there, and it is the most unreliable thing I have ever seen... Tried different mags, cleaned it within an inch of its life and nothing... Jams every other round...

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:27:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Aside from the fact that I think they're overpriced, this is why I have shyed away from buying a 41. More than one person has cautioned me regarding their propensity to jam, miss feed, and be somewhat ammo sensitive etc., so I've opted to stick with my Ruger "slabside" for the time being.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Any suggestions?

Try Federal Gold 711 ammo, about $2/box of 50rds.

The 41 has an extremely tight chamber, if a rd is out of spec one iota, it'll jam. 711 ammo is the chapest stuff I've found that'll work.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Aside from the fact that I think they're overpriced,
One gets what one pays for.

this is why I have shyed away from buying a 41. More than one person has cautioned me regarding their propensity to jam, miss feed, and be somewhat ammo sensitive etc.,
They're a Match gun, of course they're going to be ammo sensitive. Otherwise, they'd be a .22 sport.

so I've opted to stick with my Ruger "slabside" for the time being.
Some folks like Yugos.

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My gun runs fine on CCI Standard Velocity. I break it down and clean every couple hundred rounds .That is to say,remove the slide and recoil spring with guide.I don't touch the trigger groop or anything extreme,just flow some clp into the trigger.I oil the spring and slide rails with some clp and it has been very good to me.It has run bad when I let it go more than the couple hundred rounds but I don't expect a target gun to run dirty.I might be lucky with mine but it is nice to have a tackdriver with a super trigger.No excuses with this gun,if I miss it is me,not the gun   NHSPORT
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the tips everyone... Aside from the fact that I am just south of the middle of nowhere, I will see if I can find some of the Federal Gold 711...

I purchased my 41 for $425... Its a mint 5.5 inch barrel, but no box... I find that when it does shoot, its extrememly accurate, but I would like to get the thing running better than it is....

Dave
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
$425?????????  Dude, you killed!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top