Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 7:51:12 PM EDT
I had just went to the range a few weeks ago and was using UMC rounds for just plinking. I went through 100rds without issue but the accuracy was fubar. It was suggested I try WWB 9mm so I went to wal-mart and got a value pack. During my next trip to the range I had 8 times where a shell failed to eject and was stuck in the chamber. I was able to drop the mag and clear the shell and continue on but this is the first time I've had this issue.

Is this a known issue with the winchester rounds or is there something else I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I had just went to the range a few weeks ago and was using UMC rounds for just plinking. I went through 100rds without issue but the accuracy was fubar. It was suggested I try WWB 9mm so I went to wal-mart and got a value pack. During my next trip to the range I had 8 times where a shell failed to eject and was stuck in the chamber. I was able to drop the mag and clear the shell and continue on but this is the first time I've had this issue.

Is this a known issue with the winchester rounds or is there something else I should be looking at?

Sounds like bad ammo. try something else.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
How many rounds do you have through the pistol?  S&W are known for chipped extractors, check that first.  Try other ammo.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The best guess on round count would be around 600-700.

I did an inspection and didn't see anything wrong with the extractor
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not ammo. Something is wrong with the gun. I shoot WWB and UMC all the time in mine with no problems.

Look at your extractor and make sure it is free of chips and clean behind it. Next have a gun smith check and repair as needed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I sent my 5904 back to Smith & Wesson and they repaired mine for no cost; including repairing the rear sight.  I like sending mine to the factory for a real tune-up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top