Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2003 11:32:31 AM EDT
Just got a new 686P - love it!  I'm a revolver newbie and have a question.  I know that when decocking, after squeezing the trigger to release the hammer, you should take your finger off the trigger, get it outside of the guard, ect, ect - safety first.  But while playing with my new pistol, if I keep my finger on the trigger while decocking, I am sometimes able to put the hammer in a "half cocked" state.  Also while "playing" while keeping my finger on the trigger during decocking, a couple of times I felt a pretty stiff hard "catch", or "grab" on the trigger while it was returning forward.

Q - What is making the "catch" or interuption of the trigger returning forward while decocking with finger on the trigger.  

Q - What is creating the "half cocked" condition?

Q - Am i hurting anything by manipulating the pistol in this manner?

I only did it a few times before I thought I'd better consult some experts.  Thanks.

Searched the web for over an hour and saw no info on this question - thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If I understand you, you're holding the trigger down after you lower the hammer & then you're able to go to a "half-cock" position?

Sounds like the trigger isn't able to be reset since you're holding it down.

While it may not "tear it up", it probably isn't doing it any good, IMO.

IOW, don't screw with your new gun!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, BC!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top