Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2007 9:04:37 AM EDT
Hey guys. MY dad is an ex-cop and he's asked me to help sell off some of his duty weapons. Problem is that I'm not totally familiar with their value. The one I'd love for you folks to help me with is a Smith and Wesson 66-1 .357 magnum with a 2 and a 1/2 inch barrel. The gun is as close to 100% condition as I have seen-it's had about 300 rounds through it and the overall finish is about perfect. It has a Pachmayr rubber grip professionally installed on it. What's it worth guys? Thanks a lot, and here are the pics.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were in the market, I'd give you $350-$400.

If you've got the box, original wrapper (wax paper), brush, etc. etc. I'd go $425.

fwiw (and I'm not being an ass) "professionaly installed" pachmayer grips aren't a selling point.  That's basically a drop in fix...anyone with a screwdriver can do it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
To which I'll add, your S&W Model 66 will bring a slight premium since it's an older "pinned and recessed" gun.
These earlier S&W's had a pin that helps retain the barrel, and the chambers have recesses that totally enclose the cartridge case heads.

None of this really makes the gun any better, but people do pay a premium for guns with these older features.

You'll get by far the highest price if you sell it on a gun auction site like Gun Broker.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you've got the box, original wrapper (wax paper), brush, etc. etc. I'd go $425.

fwiw (and I'm not being an ass) "professionaly installed" pachmayer grips aren't a selling point.  That's basically a drop in fix...anyone with a screwdriver can do it.

this guy is spot on.  i would drop the "professionally installed" quip.  it's not a selling point
and kind of show you are a novice to buying and selling
i buy and sell S&W 686's for about $300-400 and i would expect this gun to fetch about that much.

good luck.  see how much a brand new one sells for and go 2/3 - 3/4 of that price.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
One thing left out of the appraisal is do you have the original goncalo grips? Stock wood grips especially if the finger groove grips can bring $50-$100 a set.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, some really good answers here, especially about the original box, paperwork and stuff.

In my neck of the woods out here in DFW area, I've seen several at pawn shops and gun shows ranging from 325 all the way up to (believe it or not) 519 (just two weeks ago at a pawn shop)

You're looking at a solid 350-400 though, unless you find someone who is searching for an older model S&W, in which case you could get as much as 450 out of it...
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this guy is spot on.  i would drop the "professionally installed" quip.  it's not a selling point
i buy and sell S&W 686's for about $300-400 and i would expect this gun to fetch about that much.

good luck.  see how much a brand new one sells for and go 2/3 - 3/4 of that price.

I'm certainly not a novice to buying and selling-been shooting and collecting ARs, AKs, Sigs, and FALs for years. That being said, it is true I don't know a thing about S&W revolvers. The part about the grips being "professionally" installed is what my dad told me. I'll take the advice and not use it as a selling point.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll think about shooting for $350-$375,
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm certainly not a novice to buying and selling-been shooting and collecting ARs, AKs, Sigs, and FALs for years. That being said, it is true I don't know a thing about S&W revolvers. The part about the grips being "professionally" installed is what my dad told me. I'll take the advice and not use it as a selling point.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll think about shooting for $350-$375,

MCO, that's a great price.  You won't have any problems selling it for that.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
What frame is this gun built on?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

K-frame square or round butt.  If I had to guess, I'd say square butt (guessing the age w/ pin/recessed barrel.

The 66 is a great packing pistol, but due to it's frame size, a healthy serving of 357 magnums can damage the frame (if shot over a long period of time).

When it was introduced, LEOs practiced with 38s and qualified with magnums.  Only after officers began practicing with what they carried (357mag) did the long-term frame issues crop up.

This isn't meant to detract from the model66.  There are lots of folks who love it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

K-frame square or round butt.  If I had to guess, I'd say square butt (guessing the age w/ pin/recessed barrel.

The 66 is a great packing pistol, but due to it's frame size, a healthy serving of 357 magnums can damage the frame (if shot over a long period of time).

When it was introduced, LEOs practiced with 38s and qualified with magnums.  Only after officers began practicing with what they carried (357mag) did the long-term frame issues crop up.

This isn't meant to detract from the model66.  There are lots of folks who love it.

There were NO sq. butt 2 1/2 inch 66's---all are rd. butt. Same for the rare 3"er's...4 & 6" were sq. butt.
Those are sq. butt "profile" Pach. grips on a rd. butt gun
As was said---a steady diet of hot mags will cause shortened service life...as in excessive endshake and timing issues....let 38's be your friend for casual shooting/range time

66's can be addicting...I'm up to 6 now, and the last 2 were CONSECUTIVELY serial #'ed, NEW IN BOX 3"er's---there's a few guys here that will know the significance of that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top