Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2007 3:40:11 PM EDT
Local gun store has a used one pretty cheap. It comes with one ten-round mag. Looks like a model 59. Very dark bluing.

Is this a decent gun and will it hold 15-round mags?
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is a good gun. It is the same as a 915. 910's were marketed with 10 rnd mags and the 915 with 15 rnd mags. The 15 rnd mags will fit the 910.  I owned a 910 a while back and it shot well.  Traded it for something else that I wanted more at the time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The 910 is good to go... I wouldn't pay over $350 for one in VG condition...
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input, fellows.

I've been wanting to get another Smith auto ever since I sold my 5946 a few years ago. I loved the way that gun felt in my hand but the DAO trigger pull was a little harsh for my tastes. Plus the thing weighed a ton. The 910 looks and feels like my old 5946 but with a lighter trigger pull and much lighter weight thanks to the alloy frame.

The store wants $249 for it. Good price?
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd pass on it.  I've owned to of S&W's Value Line pistols, or whatever they call them now, and they just aren't up to the quality of the 3rd Gen autos.  To save manufacturing costs, the Value Line, American Pride, or whatever name they are using this year, uses some plastic parts instead of metal, blocky looking slide and sharp edges on the frame to cut down on machining time, and also a looser slide to frame fit, to eliminate any hand fitting necessary, which results in a level of accuracy that is nowhere near as good as a 3rd Gen.  In some cases, including the 910 if I remember correctly, one locking lug was eliminated to save on machining time, too, which results in a looser lockup, also contributing to less than stellar accuracy.

IMO, you are much better off looking for a used 5903 if you want a TDA with an aluminum frame.  Summit Gun Brokers usually has them at a reasonable price.  I'd buy a used 3rd Gen S&W (actually, I just picked up another one at my FFL today from Summit) before buying a new Value Line, even if they were the same price.

I just checked and Mark doesn't have any alloy framed 3rd Gen S&W 9's listed on his site right now.  But, if you would settle for a 5906, he has them, very reasonably priced.

Just my opinion, though.  I know I was thoroughly disappointed in both of the Value Line pieces of crap that I owned, but I'm very happy with the 20 or so 3rd Gens I have in my safe right now.

Link Posted: 7/19/2007 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input, fellows.

I've been wanting to get another Smith auto ever since I sold my 5946 a few years ago. I loved the way that gun felt in my hand but the DAO trigger pull was a little harsh for my tastes. Plus the thing weighed a ton. The 910 looks and feels like my old 5946 but with a lighter trigger pull and much lighter weight thanks to the alloy frame.

$249 is an excellent price.
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been very pleased with my 910. I've had it around 15 years. Shoots as well now as it did when it was new. Very accurate. There is no looseness of the slide & barrel. The "blocky" slide with its flat top makes it easy to acquire the sights. I've had no problems with sharp edges. Plastic parts are not an issue. I've never had a misfeed or failure to eject. 15-round mags have been plentiful but didn't see any at the last gun show in June. Also have a 30-rounder for it. I also have a 5904. These guns both shoot great. I wouldn't have any problem picking up the 910 at $249.
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 915 and I love it , tons of rounds through it and very few problems, and those are usually traced to ammo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a 915 and I love it , tons of rounds through it and very few problems, and those are usually traced to ammo.

There are differences in the locking points between the 915 and 910.  The 915 locks up tighter, similar to the 59xx Series.  The 910 is a lot looser.  It's apparently cheaper to eliminate a few locking points and saving on machine time for a greater profit margin.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine was in the Cumberland MD city police and they issuied the 910. They were going over to .40s&w and I got to help him test a few sig P229s in that caliber, he also let me put a few through his 910. The department was letting officers buy their weapon for $150, and any left over any officer could buy. He ended up with like five of them, offered to let me take one at that price but I was a broke ass college student
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$249 is an excellent average, normal price.

Fixed it..............    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top