Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2003 8:50:54 PM EDT
Just got my 625-6 today.I was really wanting a 45LC but ran across this 45acp.After getting it home and fondling it some my question is.How much would be involved in having it converted to 45LC?The local Gunsmith thinks he can just bore thru the cyl but I just dont know.Has anyone done this?Are the cyl the same as a LC cyl?I know I should have just bought a LC but the price was right and if it is as easy as just boring thru the cyl I could use my Moon clips and shoot acp also.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The .45 Colt cylinder is longer.  I dont know if the .45ACP cylinder will accomodate the cartridge.  Id double check with a VERY knowledgable smith before allowing someone to do the conversion.

Cylinder and Slide is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to say I don't agree with your local gunsmith.  The .45ACP cylinder will not work for a .45LC conversion.  

The .45ACP cylinder is machined down at the rear to clear the cartridge AND moon clip.  That clearence is WAY different than the clearence of just the rim of a .45 Colt.  That right there prevents it's use by just boring through.  You could invent a spacer that could hold the 45 LC case I suppose, but there's an easier way.

The original 45Colt cylinder won't work either.  They are too long.  The barrel in the .45ACP is set farther back into the frame than on the 45Colt, so the .45Colt cylinder won't clear.

The best way to do it is to use a Model 27 or 28 cylinder and bore it out for .45Colt.  Get a crane and all the parts, and you can have a fairly quick-change assembly for .45ACP to .45Colt and back.  It won't be cheap, but it will probably be cheaper than buying another 625 in .45Colt.  I'd find someone good, who knows what he's doing, to do the work.  Your local gunsmith doesn't sound like the right guy for this job.

Because of case efficiency, you can handload .45auto to about as good as .45Colt in the 625.  The .45Colt case is just too big to take advantage of it's size in the N-frame.  You can reach similar performance and pressures with the .45ACP.  

In a Ruger or a T/C contender where you can utilize the whole case without blowing things up, the .45Colt takes a good lead from the .45ACP, but in the 625 performance won't be much different before you run into pressure limits.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure why you bought the gun in the wrong caliber but you're and adult and can do what you want.
If you must have a rimmed cartridge, invest in a set of loading dies for the 45 Auto Rim. I think you can get brass from Star Line. Speed loaders are available from HKS. The Auto Rim has a heavier web than the ACP brass and can be loaded a little heavier - heavy enough to satisfy your Dirty Harry wanna be.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Remington recently had a run of 45 auto rim brass. It's available from Black Hills Shooter's Supply to an FFL holder, and from Midway for anyone. Anyone with a 625 should lay in a supply while it's available again. It can be loaded heavier, and allows for a reload from a pocket. Handy stuff to have as a backup or alternate to moon clips.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll thrid the suggestion of the .45 Auto Rim if you're going to reload.  The web is very thick compared to .45 ACP or .45 Colt.  Since you won't get it mixed up with .45ACP, there's less danger of handloading a hot load and running it through an auto you may damage.  

Unless you reload the .45 Colt, there are VERY damn few loads that are going to take advantage of the strength of the "N" frame, or even come close to surpasing .45ACP perfromance.  Ammo companies have to keep their ammo weak so people don't blow up some acient Colt Single Action.  So if you're after performance, you'll hae to reload anyway.  If you're going to reload anyway, then the 45 Auto Rim is an excellent choice for your gun.  

You'll be able to use .45ACP dies, so if you have/get a .45 auto you can reload for it with no cost.  The bullets, powder, primers, dies are compatible.  All you need is a different shell holder.

You'll be able to use .45ACP in your revolver for plinking.  .45ACP may not be as cheap as 9mm, but it's a whole lot cheaper than .45Colt.

Because there's no way to confuse the Auto Rim with the ACP (even in the dark!), you aren't going to get ammo you loaded hotter for the 625 in the wrong gun.  

The .45ACP will allow you to handload some serious shot cartridges.  It takes alot of work (more than simple reloading, but nothing hard), but you can use a cut-down .308 case to make shotshells that are damn powerful compared to commercial snake shot.

Not trying to get you to keep what you don't want.  I have both .45 Colt and .45 ACP S&Ws, and they're great.  It's just that the .45ACP is actually a bit more versitile in the end.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
get a new gunsmith...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top