Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2007 10:50:45 AM EDT
ok first things first....she ran VERY nice I put maybe 200/ 250 rounds through it from Winchester wally world bulk, remington, federal hydrashocks, corbons, and corbons +P....it ate it all, accuracy was good not as good as my sig 220 but we are talking single action vs double action....so some practice is in order......overall loved it and the manual safety is kick ass.

now here is the bad......if the slide was pulled back in a locked position(last round held open) and I slammed a empty mag in her I had no issues.....but when I loaded a mag and slammed it home the slide would drop on its own...did it with both mags and did it al the time, also a few times I would slide a mag in and it was getting hung up on something, I would have to take the mag out and ram it up only to cause the slide to drop on its own

well any ideas? I was thinking this may be some new S&W uber tactical 3 gun or SHTF feature.......but for some reason I am gonna say probably not....what say you all

Link Posted: 6/10/2007 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
With the empty mag slammed in you have the follower holding the slide lock up.

With the full mag the follower is not in contact and the slide lock can drop with the inertia of the slam.

I call normal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
..if the slide was pulled back in a locked position(last round held open) and I slammed a empty mag in her I had no issues.....but when I loaded a mag and slammed it home the slide would drop on its own... My Glocks do this as well, and it really isnt a big deal, I actually like it. However, I train myself to NOT expect it to happen.

If it concerns that much, send it back to the mfg.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
hmmmm dont know....doesnt seem right, I have never in all my years had a slide automatically on its own slam shut when inserting a mag, what is the point of the slide realse then?   I call not normal.....but will definately call Smith and wesson tomorrow to ask....just wanted to know if this has happened with any other M&Ps....keep the answers coming :)   thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The MP is designed to drop the slide when a full mag is inserted with any degree of force.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
wow really?  I have just read the manual and it doesnt make any reference to that...how did you hear about that?? thanks for the answers guys
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Read about in an article published detailing everything that went into the designing of the M&P. I also expereince it in both of my M&Ps.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Just tried it on my 9mm and it did the same thing. Dropped the slide. I consider this a perk and not a problem.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
awesome....good to know....thanks guys....still going to call though  I have never seen this happen on ANY of my handguns....sig, glock HK none of them...if this is a feature it should be in the manual....will let you all know what S&W says tomorrow
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Most(not all) M&Ps do it, as do the HK USPs  Normal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
hmmmm dont know....doesnt seem right, I have never in all my years had a slide automatically on its own slam shut when inserting a mag, what is the point of the slide realse then?  

The "slide realse(sp)" is a SLIDE STOP.  The point of it is twofold - to lock the slide open on an empty magazine, and to provide a manual way to lock the slide open.  It is (properly) not used to drop the slide when loading the pistol.

But carry on,..I'm sure this little interlude of truth will be met with a blast of "I been shootin guns since xxxx and my uncle brother who's a Marine SEAL taught me to shoot like this"

Link Posted: 6/10/2007 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
you can get all semi's with a slide lock to do it. It's not a malfunction, or a design feature, it's you hitting it off center and the slide lock disengages. I can do it with my 1911, my glocks, sigs, anything
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
hmmmm dont know....doesnt seem right, I have never in all my years had a slide automatically on its own slam shut when inserting a mag, what is the point of the slide realse then?   I call not normal.....but will definately call Smith and wesson tomorrow to ask....just wanted to know if this has happened with any other M&Ps....keep the answers coming :)   thanks guys

Some Glocks will do it as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
radiant...cool your jets here....the whole point of the thread was to ask because I have never seen it happen before and yes I have been shooting for MANY MANY years(slide release, slide stop...its all the same we all got that and thanks for your wisdom )....I dont care about your second party he says she say uncle is a seal crap....I am asking and learning at the same time....you got saomething to add? just type in and keep it civil...dont be the typical noob ok....  things work somewhat different here than on other forums....to the others thanks again for chiming in....its weird because whether I placed a mag in soft or with force it always triped the slide....I can see maybe once and a while but everytime forceful or soft?  just struck me as a very strange
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The "slide realse(sp)" is a SLIDE STOP.  The point of it is twofold - to lock the slide open on an empty magazine, and to provide a manual way to lock the slide open.  It is (properly) not used to drop the slide when loading the pistol.

But carry on,..I'm sure this little interlude of truth will be met with a blast of "I been shootin guns since xxxx and my uncle brother who's a Marine SEAL taught me to shoot like this"

Dude the 50 page thread containing THAT argument is somewhere else here- Perhaps someone other than me can point you to it- I dont have the link handy. You are entitled to your opinion, and that is exactly what that is. Your opinion. Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a gun store owner demonstrate this to me a while ago.  

He called it a tactical reload....  I quiclky left the store.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#16]
mine holds open until I drop the slide.  I have the model without the manual safety.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Send it back. It sound more like a defect than a "gun store commando" undocumented feature. If you email Smith's customer service department, they will gladly answer your question. Please post their reply so we can find out if it is a feature or issue.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#18]
thats what I am thinking also....but will let you all know what they say....thanks for everyone opinions and answers...much appreciated
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I consider it a "feature".
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#20]
ok called this morning....gotta say their customer service was very helpful and they are paying for all shipping(very nice)   told the tech what was going on and his words were.....no that is NOT normal, it is not a feature and should be sent back as soon as possible....said they will check it out and better to be safe than sorry doesnt want me having a slam fire or anything.....so there is the word, as soon as the box comes in I will ship out and keep you all informed....thanks everyone

ok just called back...had a weird feeling and said let me ask another tech to see if I get the same answer....I didnt lol  2nd tech told me its absolutely normal and it is a feature...lolol   and that most cops love it....man its 50/50 here   oh well    I was told if I dont like that send it in and they can see what they can do to accomodate....that to me is good service

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#22]
NC good find brother...very informative
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#23]
My S&W 4506 always did it too.  No big to me and never considered it a fault, just a quirk or feature depending on your outlook.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#24]
About half the Glocks I've owned do that, the S&W Sigma I used to be issued also did it, my factory nickel P220 does it, but requires more force than the others listed, my neighbor's issued P226 .40 DAK does the same, and both my Beretta 92F and 96F also close the slide if I insert a full mag with any force.

Nothing to worry about, and there's defninately nothing wrong with your M&P.  Since the follower isn't holding the slide lock in place after the empty magazine is released, the force of slamming the magazine home, which forcefully bounces the pistol upwards, will sometimes unlock the slide.  Usually, larger calibers with heavier recoil springs do this less (my 10mm never closed the slide, and most of my .45's, other than my P220, never did this).
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Check page 17 of the MP's operation manual, see the warning in red at the bottom of that page . It warns that the slide may go forward if excessive upward force is used when inserting the magazine. Factory info no gunstore commando tails. Shouldn't be a issue unless you need a full magazine installed and the slide back.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:41:50 AM EDT
[#26]
happens when I put in mag fast or slow...thats not normal...spoke to Jeff whitehouse at Smith and Wesson and he agrees, slide stop may need to be squared up more or its a weak spring....smith-wesson has sent me a prepaid label and out it will go   thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top