Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2002 12:38:49 PM EDT
IMHO one of the best buys out there today is the Brazilian Contract Smith & Wesson 1917s. these were made for Brazil in the late thirties, just before WWII. They are chambered in 45acp and are great shooters.They work well with either moon clips or free loading (some say I'm very good at the later but only Howl at the moon). The ones I have have all been super reliable, and down right scary accurate.

The Brazilian Contract Smiths are C&R eligible and if you look around, can usually be found for under $300.00.

Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Where can you get one?  I have a C&R.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got to keep your eyes open. Watch th auctions and GunsAmerica. the seem to come up pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Correctamundo! Great guns and very few have been shot much although finish wear will usually be there. I found one in excellent mechanical condition at one of those evil weapons bazars (gun show) sitting on a table for $200 while the unwashed show-goers were drooling over more modern, hi-cap autos, etc. It called out to me...I rescued it...it has loved me ever since. Some full moons and SXTs and it's good to go.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
sig_230, the Brazilian kinda of makes you feel like "Indiana Jones" doesn't it? I had one and traded it away but I really liked the revolver. I currently have a US military 1917 but I screwed it up by having it hard chromed. Oh well, it makes one hell of a boon docking gun. regards, Richard:-)
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Richard, I know what you mean. One of my Colt 1917s was chromed at sometime during it's life. Fortunately my S&W 1917 looks and feels like it just came from the factory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top