Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 6:31:31 PM EDT
I am looking for a S&W snub nose. I am debating on the M37 (with exposed hammer) versus M442 (with concealed hammer). Can anyone offer addtional input that can help me with my choice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed.  For CCW use, I prefer either an enclosed hammer, or having the hammer bobbed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I made the model 460 choice, a Custom Shop 442 version. Never regretted the decision nor felt the need to buy another J-frame.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Any comment on finish? Go with Black Anodizue or the Sation Stainless Steel. The Black does not seem to hold up well but by the same token you do not want alot of flash.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That's why I traded my 442.  The finish is not anodized, it's a black spray on finish.  The same one they use in their 317's.  The barrel and cylinder on mine started to chip and rust, since I carried IWB and it would get sweat on it in the summer time.

I would recommend getting a 642 instead.  That's what I'm going to be looking for soon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's why I traded my 442.  The finish is not anodized, it's a black spray on finish.  The same one they use in their 317's.  The barrel and cylinder on mine started to chip and rust, since I carried IWB and it would get sweat on it in the summer time.

Lifetime warranty, send it back & voila! New finish.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Tyger2,

You didn't mentioned the intended use.  I've got a 442 that I use as a secondary CCW piece and have owned 60 Chiefs Specials as a fishing gun.  The 60 are carried with shotshells in the first two chambers for water mocassians then 125 HydraShoks.  It is carried on the belt exposed.  The 442 is carried IWB or pocket loaded with +P HydraShoks or +P Nyclads.  For a CCW the 442 with concealed hammer is great and only use DA for that role.  The 60 on the other hand does service as a plinker and occasional DA fire with SA been primary means of fire.  No expericence with the 37 itself but do like the lightweight of the 442.

CD
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally carry a model 37 all day, every day and love it. I purchased it over the 442 since the M37 does not have the internal locking mechanism but does have the hammer mounted firing pin, both charactesitics I wanted in my J Frame. The 442 does have the advantage of the internal hammer which might be a better choice for pocket carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top