Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:05:57 PM EDT
I have a S&W 442.

When I pull the trigger on an empty chamber, or on a snapcap for that matter,  a spark or two will often appear where the firing pin is.

I'm concerned there is metal on metal contact in an unintended way, with the sparks being an indicator of unwanted wear.

So though this is an odd request, was wondering if any of you have noticed this on your S&W internal hammer models?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
This has come up several times on the S&W Forum, and I asked S&W Customer Service and someone else I know personally that works there.  It's completely normal with nothing to worry about.  Just the firing pin bushing insert in the frame that causes it.  A very small drop of oil there will stop it if it really bothers you, but it's not hurting anything.

BTW, it was a 442 that I had doing it, too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
just tried it and no spark noticed on my 642
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answers.  Interesting your 642 doesn't spark.    Perhaps minor differences in machining.  They are a great little pocketable gun though.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Uh, lube, anyone?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top