Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 6:27:13 PM EDT
Im looking into gettng a 1911 pistol. But, im not sure which brand is the one I should get it from.  Either S&W, Colt, or Springfield. So I wanted to hear from experienced shooters of them. Are they good, great, or what?

Thnx
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned a SA base model 1911, SA V10/45 ported SS double stack compact, Colt 1991A1, Colt 1911 Series 70 and a S&W SW1911.  Out of them all, the Colt 1991A1 was by far the most reliable.  After I polished the feed ramp (no removal of material, just smoothing it out), it would feed anything.  Ball, JHP, or any shape cast bullet I fed it.  I should have NEVER traded that one, but I thought the SW1911 would be better, so I traded for it.

The S&W is very impressive.  But, the only problem I had was the grip safety.  I have big hands and use a very high grip.  This would sometimes cause the grip safety to stay out a tiny fraction of an inch.  Unfortunately, this would prevent the pistol from firing.  I think it has to do with the firing pin safety being moved from the trigger (like on the Colt Series 80) to the grip safety, so they could get a better trigger pull (and it worked, too!).  I have three friends who own SW1911's, and none of them have a problem with the grip safety, even when they shot mine.  It's just the grip I use and it didn't work for me.  Other than that, the SW1911 was the best out of them all.

The SA base model was OK, but it didn't like JHP's.  

The V10 sucked.  It would not feed JHP's, cast bullets, but USUALLY fed ball OK.  But, it would shoot about 14" high at 50ft!  I read that this is common with Commander size 1911's, so Brownell's sells a rear sight to fix this problem, but it's 3/8" tall!  That's a BIG piece of metal to be hanging off the top of a CCW pistol!

The Colt Series 70 was a good gun.  Not as good as the 1991, but a good gun overall.

Hope this helps.  Again, the SW1911's "problem" was a problem with my grip.  I never had a problem with any other brand 1911, but I did with this one.  I've only talked to one other person who had this problem, so he just stuck with his Colts, too.  I'd try as many 1911's out as you can before making a decision.  If the SW1911 works for you, I'd highly recommend it.  It's a great package for a very reasonable price.    
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a used S&W, 5" Stainless Model. Got it for a decent price considering it's condition. Appears rarely fired, in excellent shape. Fit and finish is great for an out-of-box 1911. Accuracy and reliability is also great, considering no fancy customizing to improve on either trait. I've fired 230gr. FMJ and JHP, no problem. Mags. are good and haven't had any malfunctions using them although I am considering buying Wilson Mags. for piece of mind. Has an external extractor which doesn't bother me in the least. It works !
Also own a stock Colt Officers Model, Series 80. It''s my daily carry Gun along with the Wilson 7 RD. Mags. Shoots as accurately and reliably as it should for self-defense and is easy enough to carry. I am kicking around the idea of investing in an even lighter Gun for summer-carry and have considered a Para-Ordnance Warthog or the Slim-Carry Model in ofcourse, .45ACP.

Hope this helps in making a decision. Have certainly had great experiences with both my S&W and Colt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi all. Newbie here. I've been on THR, TFL, 1911forum, but just found these forums.
I have two S&W 1911s, along with a Kimber UC II and a Colt gov't 38 Super.
The S&W's to me are the best 1911 on the market for the price. I've had Springfields too, and they're very good. But the Smiths top them all for an under $1000 1911. Their external extractor is rock solid. Mine have been 100% reliable so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had my S&W for a year now and it has been completely reliable. 185's, 200's, and 230 grain loads (Ball and HP)and no stoppages.  I don't have any other 1911's to compare it to.   But  this one makes me not want another.  It's perfect.  Only gripe is stripping it down with the full length rod.  First time ended up shooting the end cap and spring across the room.

Also nicely priced.  Paid $659 brand new with 2 Wilson 47d's.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have all three. Rarely shoot the colt. The springer is OK,but it shoots alittle low. The Smith shoots to point of aim.The groups are real small for me. About 1.5" at 20 feet. Only complaint the full length guide rod. I like the Smith so much I want to get the scadium comander this summer. Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top