Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 1:25:36 PM EDT
What's the difference between the 410/910 series? Are they good guns? Reliable? Accurate? Good enough for a police gun?

Ty.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Standard third generation Smiths without all the bells and whistles.  FIxed sites, no ambi safety, plain finish.  Some parts (mag button comes to mind) plastic instead of metal.  

Nothing wrong with them.  Smith autos tend to be a love it or hate it kind of thing.  If you like them go for it.  

You may want to shop around the used market.  A lot of 5906. 5946, etc floating around out there at some very good prices.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The S&W "Value Line" autos, like the 910, 410, 457, etc, are hit or miss.  I had a 910 that I was not happy with the accuracy of at all.  The slide to frame fit was very loose.  This is because they do not lock up as tightly since they cut out some machining processes to be able to sell them at a cheaper price.

Would I take a chance on a 910 again?  Yes.  Right now, I have a 457 "Value Line" gun that is amazingly accurate.  In fact, it's just as accurate as it's more expensive cousin, the 4516.  

If you are looking for a duty weapon, what caliber do you need?  If you have the choice between 9mm and .40, I'd recommend going with the .40.  A good, lightweight pistol to use would be the 4043.  It's a full-size (same as the 410) with 11-round mags, aluminum frame and SS slide.  I got mine from Summit Gun Brokers.  He has them for $285 used, but in excellent condition, with night sights and two mags.  Just test the pistol out with at least 200 rounds of your duty ammo (just like you should with any new pistol you buy anyway), and if you are an overachiever, you could replace the recoil spring with a new one from S&W, too.  IMO, this is THE duty pistol to use.  If I had a choice, I'd use mine.  

Here's the link to that pistol if you are interested.  I'd take a used 4043 before a new 410 any day: http://www.summitgunbroker.com/736225.html

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's the difference between the 410/910 series? Are they good guns? Reliable? Accurate? Good enough for a police gun?

Ty.

the 410 is the 40, 910 is the 9mm. I have the 915, which is a 910 but with 15rd mag.
it's reliable, but accuracy is not as great as my HK USP9 or my Beretta 92FS, but better than Ruger P95.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to shoot my friend's 910 a lot.  Not a bad shooter, as it was the first 9mm I shot.  I remember having some difficulties reassembling it, but that was like 6 years ago.  Seemed to me it was kind of picky going back together.

I wouldn't want one for a carry piece, but it wasn't bad to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:40:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the 410 is the 40, 910 is the 9mm. I have the 915, which is a 910 but with 15rd mag.

There are some minor differences in the locking lugs, too.  They changed it to save time on machining costs.

The 910/410 will still accept the same full-capacity magazines that the early pistols will.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
yea sure there are minute differences as they're a different caliber in the first place.
do you know how the finish and fit are differs? i've been looking for a 410 S with recent manufacture year, as in new.  I wonder if S&W step up the finish and fit since they do not seem to have the TSW line in their current catalog.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I don't mean that there are differences in the locking lugs between the 910 and 410.  I meant that there are differences in the locking lugs between the 915 and 910.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top