Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 3:24:33 PM EDT
I saw a model 410 in .40S&W today for $399.99. I don't know much about that model but it felt good in the hand and had a good 3dot sight to it. There's a little gap between the slide and the frame that concerns me as far as grit. I don't know much about the reliability 'cause I've never owned one or knew any one who did. Anybody got any experience with it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Those were pretty decent pistols from what I remember. I almost bought one back when it was called the 411 (11-round capacity before the ban). I agree though, this pistol does feel good in the hand. I can't figure out for the life of me why some of these S&W autos never really caught on (especially the newer 3rd gen). I mean it wasn't like these pistols were junk, or anything. Every. Single. One. I've ever had the pleasure of fondling/shooting/owning just struck me as beyond-higher-than-average-quality pistols...in fact, I believe 'built like a tank, accurate and reliable as hell, besides just plain impressive' is more the kind of description I would attach.
Buy and enjoy.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got quoted for 410S (stainless) for around $579, new. What's the going rate for this, I've seen it for around $450-$500 online.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally speaking, two or three things kept the whole S&W semi thing from taking off. This Model 410 is as good example as any.

1) Accuracy is normally only gonna be so-so. Ever. The only change will be an aftermarket bbl & then ya coulda bought a Glock/Sig/Beretta/etc. for what all that would cost you extra. The upside is, they're pretty reliable.

2) Lack of options. All the guns are the one & the same. The only thing one could nominally change were the sights. Granted, others were the same: Glock, Sig, etc. Somehow, one expected more from S&W. At least I did.

3) Helter skelter approach to semis. S&W made close to 3 dozen variations in models & calibers at one time, IIRC? Rather than making a dozen models top-notch for the best price, they made average models for average prices. Again, I expected better based on their revolvers.

Unless you're really in love with the gun, I would suggest you look at a bit better brands in the same price range for their used models. Used police trade-ins for Glocks & Sigs are pretty affordable these days. Used Beretta 92s are also attractive for value for the price. Lots of better guns for the same money than the 410 & I say this as a huge lover of S&W guns. Yes, I know the 410 is .40 cal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw a model 410 in .40S&W today for $399.99. I don't know much about that model but it felt good in the hand and had a good 3dot sight to it. There's a little gap between the slide and the frame that concerns me as far as grit. I don't know much about the reliability 'cause I've never owned one or knew any one who did. Anybody got any experience with it?

Good gun at a very good price for a new one!

I have shot them and would love to add one to my invenotry.  Buy it and let us know what you think.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can't figure out for the life of me why some of these S&W autos never really caught on (especially the newer 3rd gen). I mean it wasn't like these pistols were junk, or anything. Every. Single. One.

Here's a few reasons:

1. Useless without the magzine installed, even w/ a round in the chamber.
2. Lousy trigger
3. Many problems after several thousand rounds, cracked slides, etc..., no longevity when compared to Glocks which had 100K+ round life expetancies.
4. Some folks hate S&W for their anti-gun stance ways.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't figure out for the life of me why some of these S&W autos never really caught on (especially the newer 3rd gen). I mean it wasn't like these pistols were junk, or anything. Every. Single. One.

Here's a few reasons:

2. Lousy trigger
3. Many problems after several thousand rounds, cracked slides, etc..., no longevity when compared to Glocks which had 100K+ round life expetancies.

Mike

yes but the point is, this is S&W forum, not anti S&W forum. What the hell are you people doing here if you're going to bash S&W?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yes but the point is, this is S&W forum, not anti S&W forum. What the hell are you people doing here if you're going to bash S&W?

He asked the question, or rather expressed a lack of understanding of why S&W semis never caught on, I simply provided some answers.

And this ain't the S&W commercial/business forum dufass, simply the forum to discuss S&W firearms in.

And that can be pro or con comments, ya jerk.

Mike

ps - beside I probably own more S&W firearms than you ever thought abouit having...... (although that said, most of mine were purchased back when S&W cranked out some mighty fine handguns)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He asked the question, or rather expressed a lack of understanding of why S&W semis never caught on, I simply provided some answers.

And this ain't the S&W commercial/business forum dufass, simply the forum to discuss S&W firearms in.

And that can be pro or con comments, ya jerk.

Mike

ps - beside I probably own more S&W firearms than you ever thought abouit having...... (although that said, most of mine were purchased back when S&W cranked out some mighty fine handguns)

+1
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Here's a few reasons:

It's amazing this didn't seem to hinder the BHP from being adopted by the majority of the world's miltary and police.

2. Lousy trigger ---- subjective

The last I knew the 1006 was one of a very few 10mm that were stout enough to handle the loads in quantity.

This was while under the brief ownership of the British-based firm. No longer the case.

Mike

Thanks for the effort.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Well this is what I have come up with. I was just looking for a nice piece and not a pricy piece. I have done some web searching on the S&W 410 and CZ 75 in .40 and an EAA in a .40, I went around and a round in a circle comparing and Honestly I haven't seen one CZ in person but was curious as to how it shoots with the railing inside instead of out. I just wanted something different from the sigs I have and the only 1911.  I planned on buying a 226 but just wanted something different and so after looking at glocks and the hk of which I didn't like the feel of (no offense ).I am thinking of trying the 226r in .357sig just becuase I am only buying to buy and the 229DAk in .40s&w for no particular reason then the DAK. I know it might not be the best decision for some of you but my familarity with the sig was a plus and beside I don't carry. As a matter of fact everything is locked up and I don't even mess with them much, I have few buddy's and I am afraid that people would come and steal my stuff when I am not home or catch me when I have duty and try my wife with a home invasion type deal. Shooting was something the wife and I enjoyed and I am considering teaching my 10year old. Do you think that is a good idea? he's a goof but a good boy, not hot headed or a fighter really. Anyhow. I planned on making these purchases first of 06, have been wonder should the 226 be a DAK and the 229 in 357sig?  Other than 1911's and glocks and sigs and hk's I really don't see a vast market I've just learned about CZ but no experience with one. I don't know a thing about EAA and I had a baby Eagle in .40 but traded it for a 239 that I really liked. Smith has a TSW that I am surfing the web about and reading reviews on. I was reading an article by this TX swat guy (supposedly ) and He was saying that the .357sig round penetrates car doors and windows better which is a big plus for lEO than civilians and I guess I that is what attracted me to that particular round to see if there is some truth in the matter as the big bang that surrounds every article regarding the round.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top